Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator bleed valve replacement question

Options
Hi all. I have a radiator bleed valve screw that keeps turning and turning but won’t tighten down (leaking). Afraid that if I keep going it will sheer off. Do I have to drain the whole system to replace. Really hoping not to as I just did this but there is no way to isolate. Think I could get away with having the new one ready to go and swapping out under pressure? Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Only if you wanna get drenched.

My able-bodied helper thought he could make a command decision to do that last week and went home soaked from head to toe.

I think the worst part was him screaming for about 20 minutes to get the pressure off of the system as he could not hold it back with his thumb any longer.

Do you know how long it takes to drain 200 gallons?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    you should be able to lower the boiler pressure back down to 0 without letting air in,
    IF there are no auto vents up high,
    then, yeah, a hot swap could work,
    have tape or paste on the vent threads first, and expect some slight spillage,
    known to beat dead horses
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    Ironman said:

Do you know how long it takes to drain 200 gallons?
    It’s a lot quicker when your not rushed!
  • hockeyman70s
    hockeyman70s Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Ironman @neilc thank you guys. You talked me out of making a dumb decision. One more question for you- this one’s leaking too. It’s so rusted in there I’m not sure if I’d be able to get a new one in there. Think it’s swap able? 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    edited November 2022
    Options
    You probably can swap that but I'd have a new reducing ell or ell and reducer ready to go just in case. Most of that rust is on the outside from the leak.
    hockeyman70s
  • hockeyman70s
    Options
    @mattmia2 thanks, I’m hoping to get away with it. As a non plumber the reducing “ell” and “all” and reducer is that the elbow or something else? Are these something universal or need to be compared to what is there? Thanks
  • hockeyman70s
    Options
    @mattmia2 disregard- got them separated and replaced without issue. Thank you for consistently being a huge help. Saved my bacon!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    Ell is short for elbow. Autocorrect made "ell" "all" the second time i typed it.

That elbow is an elbow and reducer in one fitting that reduces the it looks like 1/2" tapping on the convector to probably 1/4" then a 1/4" to 1/8" bushing reduces the elbow to 1/8" for the coin key vent valve. There are lots of combinations of fittings that would get you there.
    hockeyman70s