Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas valve

Options
heatandair
heatandair Member Posts: 5
I had a call today for no heat The gas valve on a Goodman Furnace that was installed backwards it ran for almost a year. I reversed the valve and everthing is fine. My question is why did it run when it was backwards.

Comments

• heatandair
    heatandair Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't do a lot of gas
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    What was the Make and model of the valve?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    In backwards from the factory?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited November 2022
    Options
    If the pressure regulator section of the valve was not causing a problem, the solenoid portion would still open and close. I guess the regulator finally engaged and caused the flow restriction.

I had a Firo-matic valve cause me hours of aggravation on a new oil burner installation. Went well into the night with operation for one cycle then no operation on the next. I blew out the fuel line and even changed out the fuel line with new copper tubing. Finally I reversed the Firo-matic and everything worked. Why did the oil flow on some cycles and not flow on other cycles? It was not a check valve but there must be a reason there is an arrow on that valve.

Of course, I instaled the valve, so it had to be installed in the proper direction. NOT!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

pecmsg
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Misteaks, happen!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Was it a single seated valve OR A REDUNDANT VALVE?