Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mechanical/Saddle Tee?

TonKa
TonKa Member Posts: 104
edited November 2022 in Strictly Steam
It occured to me a mechanical tee like what is used on sprinkler systems could be a simple way to add a branch off a steam main instead of welding a thredolet or cutting the pipe and threading for a standard fitting. The gasket would be no different than what would be used for a flange.

It seems like it would save time. Is this just another crazy idea or have others tried this?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,208
    Is it rated for steam and steam temps?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,052
    TonKa said:
    It occured to me a mechanical tee like what is used on sprinkler systems could be a simple way to add a branch off a steam main instead of welding a thread-o-let or cutting the pipe and threading for a standard fitting. The gasket would be no different than what would be used for a flange.

It seems like it would save time. Is this just another crazy idea or have others tried this?

Easier way is Megapress for steam
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    gasket is not likely rated for steam
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319
    edited November 2022
    The Submittal states this about the gaskets:
    ( _ ) Grade “E” EPDM (Green color code)
    -40°F to 230°F (Service Temperature Range)(-40°C to 110°C)
    Recommended for water service, diluted acids, alkalies solutions,
    oil-free air and many chemical services.
    NOT FOR USE IN PETROLEUM APPLICATIONS.

( _ ) Grade “EP” EPDM (Green and Red color code)
    -40°F to 250°F (Service Temperature Range)(-40°C to 121°C)
    Recommended for water service, diluted acids, alkalies solutions,
    oil-free air and many other chemical services.
    NOT FOR USE IN PETROLEUM APPLICATIONS.

Does steam qualify as "many other chemical services"? Since water is inert (when it comes to chemical compounds) I would think that this product would be just fine for steam. Since we are all talking about Steam at less than 3 PSI in most systems, I believe the gasket that is rated for 250° should stand up to the temperature just fine.

But there are inspectors that will fail you because you can't prove to them in writing that this is an acceptable use. ... Dah... it don't say STEAM... If that matters in this case

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ethicalpaul
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    edited November 2022
    @pecmsg - I like megapress as well but inserting a fitting inline on existing install can be a challenge. 
    The saddle clamp looks like a simple modification. Be interesting to see how it performs
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 435
    I've used these successfully to add main vents at the ends of existing steam mains. Get the EPDM gaskets, normal low pressure boiler steam doesn't go much above 215 deg. F., and vents don't get a lot of steam flow or condensate.

I've never used them for adding a branch line.
    TonKa
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    as long as it is rated for temperature and the type of fluid, but check with the manufacturer 
    Plenty of Hydronics assembled with Vic fittings
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    TonKa
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    I have done a lot of Vic on hot water.

Whatever they rate their gaskets at is false. They may rate their gaskets at 250 "newer quick vic couplings" and at 230 for the older stuff.

But in my experience if you run at 200 withing a couple of years the gaskets dry out and lose their flexibility then shut the system down and when it cools you will have a rain shower.

We did use Vic on a temp steam line and it worked ok but wasn't in service that long
    TonKa
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    I've come across them many times on jobs. They are all leaking. Probably hold up for a few years but eventually the rubber hardens and they leak. We replace the gasket if the owner doesn't want it fixed correctly.
    PC7060