Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How was my 1880's house heated?

Options
2»

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    I'm not sure there aren't still a large portion of people that still use cloth diapers in the us. they also make the best rags.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Mj mother-in-law had one in one of their bathrooms. Nothing but trouble. Whenever there was a problem with hot into cold or vice versa cross connection, that was the first place to look.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Friends told me their Toto Washlets were life changing. I got one, close to life changing for me. Even put it on a tall model toilet. Many bidet seats to chose from now.

so the seat and tall bowl make is closer to life changing😉
    The heated part of the seat us a nice feature. Like heated truck seats, Ive added the heated seat kits to my trucks that didn’t have  factory heat
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJMad Dog_2mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
    I'm sure it's an interesting 🤔 experience.  They are probably very helpful for handicapped ♿ and elderly folks too. My hips and 55 year old knees DO like  ADA height toilets.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Somewhat related..I just had a flashback to my "yute."  My older sister had a best friend whose family was "connected."  You would know the name.  They had a custom toilet seat (mid 1970s) in the master bathroom 🚻 that was clear..Lucite?? It had Real 18 carat Gold coins.(.Krugerrands ??) Imbedded in the seat. It was crystal clear and you could read the Details on the coins...Krugerrands? Perhaps..didn't think to ask at that age...just cared that they were solid 18 carat Gold. They  were extremely warm, generous and hospitable and they were EXTREMELY proud of this toilet seat and loved to show guests....Thats my toilet seat story.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    TUSHY I got two. Simplest thing to install and like a hundred bucks. Game changer.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    ChrisJ
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Have a look at Bio-Bidet (now owned by Bemis apparently).
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Look. One of the houses I was at from time to time when i was a young lad had its own separate building even for the facilities! It wasn't even that far from the main house.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    edited August 2023
    Options

Look. One of the houses I was at from time to time when i was a young lad had its own separate building even for the facilities! It wasn't even that far from the main house.

When I was young going camping we didn't have facilities at all.

I still like a clean rear end.
    I also like a steaming hot towel when I get out of the nice hot shower.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 630
    Options
    Sweet baby Jesus my 1 year old "how was my old house heated" took a couple left turns! B)
    ChrisJWMno57reggi
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options

Sweet baby Jesus my 1 year old "how was my old house heated" took a couple left turns! B)

Understatement of the year. :D
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    just one left turn and it drove a couple states in that direction.

I think all of my grandparents had those as children. My grandmother also almost died of diphtheria when she was 4.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    That's remarkable That you said that  Matt.  My grandmother Ethel (1918-1991) had Diphtheria as a Child.  She was quarantined in a room for a few months I think.  All she had to play with was a Small Child's Rocking chair.  She was super lonely.  Thank God she survived.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    You shouldn't be surprised, @AdmiralYoda -- you should know how our minds work (*or don't...) by now!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    mattmia2ethicalpaul
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    i spent all of 1969 in Korea on a remote mountaintop communications site - no road and no running water. There was a mountain spring just outside the fence we got all our water from. Our facilities were in a little shed "Rose Hall" (two seater with a stack of Stars and Stripes with a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling) down the path from the generator shed. Do you have any idea how cold it gets on top of a mountain in Korea? If you relieved yourself outside it would freeze pretty much instantly.

On fine spring day I had just walked out of our barracks (20x40 Quonset hut) when I heard a shout and saw the door of Rose hall slam open with Val bursting out with a string of invective's. He had been quietly mulling over the meaning of life when he lifted one cheek to dispose of a but when one of the inhabitants of a hornets nest under seat took umbrage at the act and attacked the closet thing hanging down. That prompted val into action as he went through that door with his pants down holding on to himself.

it took a bit of time but the swelling did go down and Val was once again able to join un on weekly visits to the local red light districts about 8 miles away. Six guys sitting on a mountain with no officers around made us a pretty rough and tumble group, one of the best years of my young life.
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Mad Dog_2reggi
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Awesome..You were a "COLD 🥶 " Warrior in every sense of the word.  Thank you for your service, Bob!  In 1986, I worked on an outdoor plumbing project on The East River Esplanade on Manhattan East side from December to March...Absolutely, brutal, windy Cold 🥶 winter.  MY tough, grisled old partner, Cigar-Chomping Harry was a Veteran of the Battle around the Frozen Chosin Reservoir in the Korean Conflict (Only in a ceasefire mode till this day). He was one of the "Frozen Chosin."  I always loved the cold, but the other plumbers were NOT happy campers.  With his always wet cigar in his mouth:  "Quit being such  wimps...This is warm compared to Korea in the Winter!!  Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 

• CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 282
    Options
    I just came across this photo today of the bathroom at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. I wonder what they do with the waste? If they just dump it on the ice or even beneath the ice it will be there for thousands of years considering the average daily outdoor temperature is -57°F.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    DWV Copper and Plenty of TP...my kinda throne.   Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    talk about some wrong, very wrong turns , , ,
    Mad Dog_2 said:

I was in a very smart, but eccentric tree huggers home about 20 years ago.  I had to use the bathroom 🚻 .  There was NO TP to be found...very awkward situation...I guess he heard me searching the vanity and linen closet.  "Oh..sorry I don't use TP."..."we" protect the environment!! ..use one of the "Clean" towels!!!"   Ah...now I knew what the "other" towels on the top of the hamper were.  The ones with the long straight, brown lines on them ..💩 💩 💩 ....I started gagging. Gotta love people ❤....Mad Dog 🐕 

ChrisJ said:

, , ,
    I also like a steaming hot towel when I get out of the nice hot shower.

known to beat dead horses
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Its a Quonset Hut, Nelic...funky angles..Mad Dog 🐕 
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options
    This thread is great or epic!

My mother grew up without indoor plumbing in some places they lived in Tennessee, she didn't think anything of it (they were more or less middle-class).

Anyways, I remember hearing stories about exchange students from Greece (or other countries) not putting the paper down the toilet but in the waste bin next to the toilet since in their home countries you don't put paper down with the flush since their countries typically couldn't handle it. Never heard how their host families resolved it (always hated the half stories kids are told which don't tell you how the resolved them).
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I lived in Greece for over 3 years. The local TP there had the consistency of stretchy panty hose.

We used and flushed our western TP down without any problem.

Traveled East from there for about 18 months and never had any TP at all.

It was all squatters, sometimes with the convenience of foot pads, water can in right hand and washing with left hand. (Lived thru it with minimum issues)

Just don't put your left hand in the community rice bowl.

There was a reason the left hand was cut off for certain crimes. You couldn't eat at the public places as everyone knew where your right hand had been.

BTY everyone was right handed.

Note: some people noticed visitors from India to this country leaving footprints on the WC seat.
    The logic was you do not want to put your butt on something that everyone else had their butt on.
    Feet were OK, dirty anyway.
    The reason seat liners were created.....do people use those?