Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

4 pros stuck! The mystery of the gurgling radiators

As the title says, all of last year i had issues with my radiators. The vents would always hiss and gurgle and spit drops of water towards the end of the heating cycle. The pig tail has been replaced. The honeywell pressurerol is set at 1 main and .5 diff. I've lived here for 32 years. Same boiler, same rads, there has been no repairs since it was installed 40 years ago. The system has never had main vents so the pros who came out ruled that out. No one can figure out why the vents are quiet during the whole cycle and then they start hissing at the very end! ☹️

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Somewhere condensate is slowly building up and finally gets deep enough to be carried into the radiators. There could be lots of reasons for that, but I'd start by looking for very slow wet returns or slightly off pitch "horizontal" mains.

Do you also see a very slow drop in water level in the boiler during a long steaming run?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • massarottob11
    massarottob11 Member Posts: 8
    Somewhere condensate is slowly building up and finally gets deep enough to be carried into the radiators. There could be lots of reasons for that, but I'd start by looking for very slow wet returns or slightly off pitch "horizontal" mains. Do you also see a very slow drop in water level in the boiler during a long steaming run?

Normally, i would see a drop in water and then after about 30 minutes the water returns and the sight glass returns  back to the same level it was before the boiler started. It's possible the wet returns could be the issue. As i mentioned the rads are quiet until the very end, just before the boiler shuts off

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    30 minutes after the boiler shuts off? Too long. Look for partly clogged wet returns.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tomhaeussler
  • massarottob11
    30 minutes after the boiler shuts off? Too long. Look for partly clogged wet returns.

How can i clean them/flush them? never done it

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited September 2022
    Your discussion title sounds like an Agatha Christie novel. Or perhaps… a case for Sherlock Holmes. Since it has not been done in 40+ years, you may be looking at cutting pipes open. If there are unions at strategic locations, that may be a good place to start. You may even have some valves  available to open but they may be unable to open and close after all that time.  .

Regular maintenance would have exercised those valves (if there are any valves) and plugs or caps that are removed from time to time will make flushing out sludge much easier. 40+ years can make separating those fittings near impossible 

But consider this.  If you paid for a good flush every three to five years over the last 30 years, you may have spent more than this major piping job will cost (adjusting for inflation)
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Maybe they are not hissing but sucking ,I ve seen this occur after the boiler cycles off the system pulls a vacuume and the vents hiss ,if you had a low pressure gauge you would be sure the boiler is not producing pressure and w a vacuume gauge it may show the system going into it as it cools down . I ve run across it once in 40 years and they where recessed sunrads w no insulation behind them . Have also witness kinda the same but on a 2 pipe but the noises where durning the cycle .peace and good luck and as Ed has said maintance is key clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    STEVEusaPA
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    What condition is the boiler water in?
    Is it oily or dirty looking in the gauge glass?

Just because the Pressuretrol is set somewhere doesn't mean it's actually working correctly.

Just because the system never had main vents doesn't mean it doesn't need them. Obviously this is a separate subject, but you need them.

The only time I've had radiator vents hiss at the end is when most of the radiators are near full of steam so the system pulls a good vacuum when the boiler shuts down. So, I'm going to guess for some reason your thermostat is calling for heat for a long time. No idea why, but I'd expect the house to be very hot when the system finally shuts down.

Please supply pictures of the boiler, all of it's piping, the gauge glass, some or all of the radiators and their vents and the thermostat.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    dabrakemanIntplm.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    2 other things to look at besides clogged returns...Very dirty boiler water and possibly a large boiler or system leak. A leak will bring in lots of fresh water and the pollutants stay in the boiler as the water boils to make distilled water in the form of steam. Those pollutants build up over time and can cause the boiler to not boiler properly, getting water up into the system. Is the boiler overfilled?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    > The system has never had main vents so the pros who came out ruled that out.

Huh??
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • massarottob11
    edited October 2022
    > The system has never had main vents so the pros who came out ruled that out. Huh??

the pros who came out to try and figure out the vent issue and why they gurgle and let out some water rules out the possibility of it lacking main vents since it's never had main vents and since it just started recently. i've had this setup for 30+ years. It's not a vent issue they told me, it's something else that they are having a hard time figuring out
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    edited October 2022
    Have you replaced your rad vents recently? Maybe they're broken or dirty. Are the rads slightly pitched back towards the steam pipe as they should be? I agree with @ethicalpaul. You need main vents. They are essential. Pictures needed as @ChrisJ said. I thought @clammy's explanation was interesting but don't see how that would cause the vent to spit water out, and that's what is happening in your case right?
  • massarottob11
    edited October 2022
    Have you replaced your rad vents recently? Maybe they're broken or dirty. Are the rads slightly pitched back towards the steam pipe as they should be? I agree with @ethicalpaul. You need main vents. They are essential. Pictures needed as @ChrisJ said. I thought @clammy's explanation was interesting but don't see how that would cause the vent to spit water out, and that's what is happening in your case right?

They aren't spitting, they seem to dribble water if that makes sense? water drops collect at the bottom. I replaced them all last year with varivalves they are pitched a little more than 1/16. I'm starting to really think it's a wet return issue. it hasn't been cleaned in a long time. i'm not sure how to clean them but i think that's the only thing it could be
  • random12345
  • massarottob11
    otherwise it could be the thermostat, reason i say this is because i have the thermostat said to reach 68. Once it reaches 68 the thermostat continues to call for heat for an additional 20 minutes before finally turning off. i've noticed that the vents begin to leak at the very end of the cycle as i mentioned before. The extra 20 minutes  the steam is on is causing this issue, I'm wondering if there's a way to program the thermostat so it shuts off as soon as it reaches the set temperature. 
  • massarottob11
    the second link 
  • random12345
    If it's Vent-Rite, the gasket at the bottom can wear out and water can leak from there. Don't think it's the thermostat. Temperature would just overshoot, but doesn't explain water dripping out.
  • Tom51
    Tom51 Member Posts: 13
    Pressuretrol?
    First, how long has that been in?
    That one pipe should have no more than .5 PSIG on it.
    When was that pressuretrol installed?
    lenrempe
  • Steve_Wheels
    Steve_Wheels Member Posts: 28
    I'm looking at your pressuretrol. Was the original pressure control a Vaporstat? It does not seem like a lot of change, but with a vaporstat you will be running the system below 1psi, like between 5-12" WC. A pressuretrol min setting is 1PSI, nearly twice the vaporstat pressure. Of course a vaporstat is $100 more than a pressuretrol, but the Rules of Economics never outweigh the Laws of Physics.
    random12345lenrempe
  • random12345

They aren't spitting, they seem to dribble water if that makes sense? water drops collect at the bottom. I replaced them all last year with varivalves they are pitched a little more than 1/16. I'm starting to really think it's a wet return issue. it hasn't been cleaned in a long time. i'm not sure how to clean them but i think that's the only thing it could be

the second link 

I never knew this could happen truthfully. Hopefully since our boiler was replaced last year and they drained the wet returns, we're ok. Are you going to stick one of those pipe inspection cameras down there or just flush everything?

• NorthEastern_AV
    NorthEastern_AV Member Posts: 2
    I had heat-timer vents for 2 seasons. Loved the idea. They started spitting water towards the end of season 2. Went back to static vents, problem gone. 
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 538
    edited October 2022

otherwise it could be the thermostat, reason i say this is because i have the thermostat said to reach 68. Once it reaches 68 the thermostat continues to call for heat for an additional 20 minutes before finally turning off. i've noticed that the vents begin to leak at the very end of the cycle as i mentioned before. The extra 20 minutes  the steam is on is causing this issue, I'm wondering if there's a way to program the thermostat so it shuts off as soon as it reaches the set temperature. 

Have you changed anything with your thermostat, thermostat settings or setpoint temperature since developing this issue? What kind of thermostat do you have? There won't ever be any water issues with radiator valves if steam is not reaching them. You mention the boiler running 20 minutes after setpoint is reached. Is this different than before or has it always been doing this? If it is running longer cycles now than it was then you could be just getting to 100% fill on the radiators frequently now whereas you didn't before. This would just uncover underlying issues that may have been there before like wet steam or rads being vented too fast.
  • Firebaron
    Firebaron Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a big shift in water level and water location, right at the proper time, with the right amount of heat. With no Pics, this could be our first contact with aliens. Otherwise, finding the systems true water level is priority and watching it go through a steam cycle. Before you treat with chemicals, take the boiler for a ride around the block. Check BTU input and efficiency test. Crack a return union, check for corrosion. Make sure your making steam and not exploding water.
  • BronzeAgePlumber
    BronzeAgePlumber Member Posts: 3
    I don't think the thermostat is the issue but if you have one lllaying around it's easy enough to swap it out..  I suspect something more elusive. You're trapping water somewhere. 
  • lenrempe
    lenrempe Member Posts: 2
    More information needed. What system piping? Is the piping insulated? What is the Pressure troll set to? How far away is the farthest radiator? Just reading through the comments I would think it is a wet return that may be mostly plugged due to the 30 minute gauge glass comment or a big pressure difference between the front and back of the system (holding the condensate), a psi setting to high causing the burner to run to long to satisfy the thermostat. The lack of a main vent puts the ability of the steam getting to the radiators completely on the radiator vents. When the call for heat ends the vents are all closed, as the pressure and temp in the uninsulated main falls, the remaining condensate is boiling in a vacuum, this (from the information I see) is where the gurgling and drips are coming from.
  • Bill_Kitsch69
    Bill_Kitsch69 Member Posts: 48
    Are the radiators pitched back toward the supply as they should be (one-pipe rads)? I am assuming you have one-pipe rads.

Or 2 pipe with air vents? blocked traps?) Verify and correct all pitch of rads and piping regardless of system design. Add a vapor stat set at 1 psi main and 6" oz/2in subtractive diff.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/pages/product.aspx?cat=HonECC+Catalog&pid=L408J1017/U
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Install a vacuum breaker or reversed check valve at the boiler. Better install regular air vents at radiators.
    JohnNY
  • ChrisJ
    We've still got no pictures and we have people and now bots (I hope) taking shots in the dark. We aren't helping anyone like this.

We even have one saying to take the boiler for a ride around the block!

@gennady why a vacuum breaker at the boiler?
    Wouldn't a negative pressure at the boiler assist in water return?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PRRIntplm.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    Install a vacuum breaker in the boiler room, you are experiencing positive pressure when the boiler turns off. Remember venters are two way devices they block steam but allow air to escape and let the system " take a breath" single pipe systems are like living things they have to enhale and exhale after forty years your venters may not be up to what's needed anymore. Vacuum breakers are cheap and no single pipe system should be without one.
    Intplm.
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 538

As the title says, all of last year i had issues with my radiators. The vents would always hiss and gurgle and spit drops of water towards the end of the heating cycle. The pig tail has been replaced. The honeywell pressurerol is set at 1 main and .5 diff. I've lived here for 32 years. Same boiler, same rads, there has been no repairs since it was installed 40 years ago. The system has never had main vents so the pros who came out ruled that out. No one can figure out why the vents are quiet during the whole cycle and then they start hissing at the very end! ☹️

This was the OP. I agree with @Jackmartin that a vacuum breaker can eliminate radiator vent hiss after the boiler shuts off and air needs to reenter the system as the steam collapses but this did not seem at least to me to be what the OP was complaining about.
  • OnePipeSteamer
    OnePipeSteamer Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like you are a pretty hands on guy so I would recommend purchasing "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" that you can find in the store on this site. Its a book, but I think most use it as a manual. I recently purchased a 3 story office building with 18 radiators and it was completely out of whack. I learned so much from the book and with that and help from several pros on this site have been able to balance the building. I'm pretty sure I will see up to 30-50% gas cost savings...time will tell. Even if I don't save a dime, at least now all of the tenants will be warm for the same cost. One note, Dan Holohan, the author and the steam heating god talks quite a bit about the importance of a main vent. I have one and thought every system had to have one to work, but then again, I'm not a pro. Good Luck.
  • Powe
    Powe Member Posts: 30
    Here is the solution:
    Pour an ounce of your best whiskey in a glass. Wait until midnight and turn the lights out while standing next to each offending radiator. Then drink the whiskey!
    I have no idea if this will help - it is just a shot in the dark!
    ... as are many suggestions without more info and pics!
    (Sorry, Just trying to add some humor. No offense intended.)

I am curious what the solution to this will turn out to be in any event. Please update this when you solve it.
    Single pipe steam
    Weil-McLain EG/PEG -50
    175K/145K in/out (454 sf)
    Dave in QCA
  • JK_Brown
    JK_Brown Member Posts: 24
    You say "radiators" so the problem is system wide
    You say "hiss and gurgle and spit drops", so this means the radiators are at positive pressure when the vents open. You could verify the flow is out
    You say "end of heating cycle" but don't indicate if this just before or just after the boiler shuts off. Or if it has been verified the end of cycle is coming from thermostat call being satisfied, or maybe pressure?

So why are the vents opening, which should indicate they are no longer being hit by steam and cooling off?
    And why does the system have positive pressure since the condensing steam should create a vacuum?

To create pressure, you need flow and a restriction. The boiler (flow) seems to be working. But after a time, the steam seems to not be reaching the radiator vents to keep them closed, but the system still has pressure on it. A restriction causing condensate to stack up would be in the return. Sounds like you are on the cusp of works, but doesn't work which are real annoying problems till they move to full on doesn't work anymore.
  • jennlmorrow1
    jennlmorrow1 Member Posts: 9
    We have have several vents that gurgle and spit and dribble too. We had a lot of things to work on in the 2 years we've owned the system (no insulation and over-sized boiler) and have finally gotten a wet side clean-out and replaced the last 10 feet of the wet return. Technician said the wet return was reduced smaller than his pinky so fingers crossed we have solved the issue that also led to clogging both main vents in the last two years (the one on the wet return we replaced twice!) About to turn on the system for the season- fingers and toes crossed!
    1 pipe steam system, 2014? Weil-McLain EG-75-PDIM S5, 2 Hoffman75 vents on main
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Unless your system is huge, the size if your pinky is probably enough to return the condensate faster than the boiler is making it.

Looking at Dan's post from this week, any chance the system was flooded so the crud from the radiators got moved in to the mains?
  • ChrisJ

We have have several vents that gurgle and spit and dribble too. We had a lot of things to work on in the 2 years we've owned the system (no insulation and over-sized boiler) and have finally gotten a wet side clean-out and replaced the last 10 feet of the wet return. Technician said the wet return was reduced smaller than his pinky so fingers crossed we have solved the issue that also led to clogging both main vents in the last two years (the one on the wet return we replaced twice!) About to turn on the system for the season- fingers and toes crossed!

May we see some pictures of your boiler and the piping around it?

No need to cross fingers, the system just needs to be put together properly. ;)
  • pmerritt
    pmerritt Member Posts: 1
    How high above the water line is it to the bottom of the steam header? Reason being, if the pressuretrol (control) is allowing the steam ressure (near the end of the cycle) to approach 1psig then you'd need at least 30 inches from the wter line, up. Might verify the actual pressure when the hissing starts. If you don't have that much "height" then lower the control to 1/2 psig and the symptom may vanish just as it started.
    I think it sounds like you may be experiencing wet steam near the end of cycle because of the height issue. If you've got plenty of height, well the pressure may still be too high for the way the header is piped. It could be dragging wetness into the steam lines. JMHO
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Replace the varivalve vents on the spitting rads with conventional vents like the Ventrite. Varivalves are almost always a problem on one pipe steam systems, at least in my experience
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    No pictures, No help (i don't think hes been on in a couple of days, lol).