Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pesky Pine Needles

Options
FB
FB Member Posts: 45
Our Buderus 142/24 boiler vent and intake exits through a roof with gutters that fill with pine needles. Concerned that some of the needles have been falling into the vent opening and could interfere with proper exhausting, I recently covered the opening with a small dome of stainless steel screen. The screen is retained with a stainless steel worm drive clamp. The screen openings are small enough to block the pine needles. I plan to keep an eye on it, especially during the snow season. Any input about potential problems this modification may cause is appreciated.

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Condensation may form along the screen mesh which could potentially freeze closed which could cause some pretty serious issues. Never seen this myself from a screen but that one is pretty tight, and I have heard several stories from service techs who have dealt with issues due to screens freezing.
    STEVEusaPA
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Is there any reason why you cannot add pipe with a Fernco coupler to elevate the flue exhaust??
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    loose the screen!

if pine needles are a problem another solution is needed. 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    That screen is inside the cap assembly? It's not likely to be really needed -- but if a screen is (and note the comments on freezing up above -- it will) it be much better arranged as a cone above the outlet, shaped and attached so that it was open around the skirt so that when it does freeze there will still be a way to get exhaust out. That way too the pine needles will just blow off it and you won't have to go up on the roof to clean it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    it shouldn’t be hard to come up with a plastic or stainless hood to put over the vertical part of that concentric. A 3 or 4” pvc cap with some legs to support it. Clamp it around the OD of that concentric.

The tougher fix is the pollen from the trees, that they inhale 😉
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 587
    Options
    Removing the trees that hang directly over the roof is off the table ?
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    pecmsgmattmia2
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,002
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I would think that when the blower comes on, it would push any pine needles out, but I might be dreaming.

Adding a PVC street 45 might get it to a large enough angle to fend off any falling needless and still keep the exhaust gasses away from the air intake. You don't even have to glue it in case you want to change the angle later.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab