Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is This A Storm Water Waste Line?

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
I took this photo in Italy some years back. Judging from the other similar lines in the left background of the shot, they would appear to be acting as leaders from the roof. Is the bend in the pipe (welded cast iron or brass?) meant to slow down the water?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Well the bend will slow it down for sure -- but it's also a trap of sorts. If it really comes just from the roof, yes, storm water -- but I'll bet the line it ties into is a combined sewer. "Outside" plumbing is very common in older buildings -- it won't freeze in that climate, and it's so much easier than trying to snake things around in old masonry and heavy timber!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    D107
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Expansion accommodation? Waistline?
    D107
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Hard for this layman to see why a trap would be required--the other lines in the far buildings don't have them. And how would that side bend stop any vent gases when it couldn't hold the water in it like a standard horizontal trap? The line would seem to be ideal to vent any gases up into the roof gutters if indeed the line combines with the sewer below. On the other hand slowing down the water with that side-bend could be very useful in a heavy downpour.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    This looks like some I have seen from Europe. This may possibly be a drain that was piped around something from a past obstruction and never corrected?
    There are many drains like this in Europe but not with this extreme of a bend.
    D107