Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sewer backup and boiler increase

Fmassarotto_9
Fmassarotto_9 Member Posts: 111
i have a sewer backup and i believe it's causing my boiler to fill with water, could this be related? i recently drained my boiler for the summer since this is what my boiler manual says so it surprised me to see the sight glass filled. Nonetheless i have a plumber coming to snake out the sewer now but should i mention the issue with the boiler or is it not connected

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Only if it is leaking in to a buried wet return. More likely that the valve isn't holding.
    Zmankcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Water doesn't run up hill -- so unless your sewer line is higher than the boiler, it can't be the source.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575

Water doesn't run up hill -- so unless your sewer line is higher than the boiler, it can't be the source.

Or the lowest drain is above the boiler and it is backed up to above the boiler, but it is very unlikely that the pressure would go from one to the other. Unless the thing perceived as a backup is actually a wet return leak and the boiler valve is not holding.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    I'm assuming you have a steam system, is so I must ask does the house smell like baked excrement when the boiler runs?