Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler License

Options
Dairon421
Dairon421 Member Posts: 80
edited May 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

Hey guys I'm looking to get my class 2b license in Michigan.  What books do you recommend to study?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    If you have steam in your area Dan's book on this site, the LAOSH is a necessity.

If you do any oil burners Carlin & Beckett burners would be a good place to start for oil and power gas burners & the old Charlie Burkhardt book "Domestic & Commercial oil burners" is out of print but available online in used bookstores.

For gas or oil boilers you could go to the boiler MFG web sides and download the install manuals for their boilers. Weil Mclain, Peerless, Burnham, Utica, Dunkirk & Mod -Con boilers like Lochinvar, HTP, Triangle Tube etc reading the manuals will help you learn how to install.

Dan also has books on this site for Hot water heating systems like How Come, Primary Secondary Piping and Pumping Away.

Caleffi has a ton of information on their site as well that you can download the "Idronics Series"
    That will keep you occupied for a while

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    I have found that passing a test for a particular license usually has very little to do with what you actually need to know about doing the work. It is more having to do with the reason some bureaucrat decided the license was necessary so many years ago. You need to find out what is on the test for Michigan and get the book that has that info.

For example: EPA license for servicing refrigeration has very little to do with how to repair things that use refrigerant, but more on how to recover it and info on stuff I will never work on.

@EBEBRATT-Ed does suggest some good info for practical knowledge... but that won't get you to pass the test.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ratioCLambEBEBRATT-Ed
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I agree with @EdTheHeaterMan

I find that standardized government tests-at least on the federal level, the questions never change. They can use any of 1000 questions on a 100 question test. The 1000 questions and answers are usually available for purchase. Just memorize the answers and not the questions. I once looked at testing for an electricians license in my state and it seemed to follow suit.

I guess that's what parent's mean when they say schools teach to test.
    EdTheHeaterMan