Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How far can you extend the intake & exhaust for an IBC combo boiler

Options
The inspector said these lines are too close to the ground and should be higher. The location is bad under a window anyway and also in a walkway. I can relocate it pretty easily to the other side of the house and raise them but my question is how far can the lines be extended from the boiler. The boiler is an IBC

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    I can see why the inspector objected...

The distances will be in the installation manual.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2GGrossCanucker
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Call the installing contractor and make them run them according to the manual!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    all mod cons are different. You have to follow the boiler mfg. instructions
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    I know the rules in New Jersey say that the contractor can not receive payment in full until the work passes inspection. But who follows the rules in NJ. I hope you didn't pay in full yet.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • BritoPlumbing
    BritoPlumbing Member Posts: 8
    Options
    For 2” vent, most IBC only allow 35 feet, and an elbow is a 5-8 feet equivalent. you can find the brochure for each model at IBC.com.
    Is the objection because of distance from floor or because it is in high traffic area? Unless there is a more stringent local code, standard US is 12” minimum from floor. Be it that you or the contractor does the change, got to make sure inspector is going to approve.
  • pecmsg
    Options
    For 2” vent, most IBC only allow 35 feet, and an elbow is a 5-8 feet equivalent. you can find the brochure for each model at IBC.com. Is the objection because of distance from floor or because it is in high traffic area? Unless there is a more stringent local code, standard US is 12” minimum from floor. Be it that you or the contractor does the change, got to make sure inspector is going to approve.
    I see an issue with below the window and snow load. Termination may also be an issue. 
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    You would have to check your local code and the manual but the min height is usually something like 12" above maximum expected snow height.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    The intake and exhaust also need to be separated by 24". 12" above anticipated snowfall. 12" from a window as a direct vent appliance.
  • pecmsg
    Options
    kcopp said:
    The intake and exhaust also need to be separated by 24". 12" above anticipated snowfall. 12" from a window as a direct vent appliance.
    Operable window and we follow 36” away!
  • BritoPlumbing
    BritoPlumbing Member Posts: 8
    Options
    IBC manual calls for 12” minimum from floor and 12” vertical separation between intake and exhaust if not using a concentric or a low profile termination kit.
    But what your inspector or local code is calling for is what matters.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    pecmsg said:

kcopp said:

Mfg allow 12" in US installations
  • pecmsg
    Options
    kcopp said:

pecmsg said:

kcopp said:

Mfg allow 12" in US installations

Its more what the Inspector wants. o:)
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    I'm guessing no one is sitting at the table drinking hot chocolate when the burner is running
    known to beat dead horses
    pecmsg
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    If it is on a windward side it could create a mess, especially when the exhaust is wet.

Sidewall venting is always a compromise in my mind. Exhaust all thru the roof options, pun intended.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    MikeL_2