Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can radiators be transported downstairs with a handtruck without cracking the cast iron?

Options
branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
edited February 2022 in Strictly Steam
I'm worried the repeated banging on each stair could crack the rad.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Don’t bang it then, but I doubt it would hurt it
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2
  • bobbob
    bobbob Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Try to find an appliance dolly. They have small wheels and special "caterpillar tracks" on the back side. Made to go up and down stairs alot more smoothly.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    If your handtruck has pneumatic tires they will absorb the shock from bumping down the stairs. I've moved several of mine. Your real concern is to avoid bumping into walls and tearing out great chunks of plaster or damaging your woodwork. I recommend putting a board on each side of the radiator with holes cut out for the fittings so they don't stick out and gouge your walls or ballusters—or your ankles.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 512
    Options
    What everyone said plus tie off the hand truck behind you if possible to control the momentum when gravity wants to take over after the first drop.. g/l
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    And never, ever, stand below the hand truck. Just don't do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgqXVeIPSzA
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CLambLS123
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Lay two 2x8's on there side, carefully slide down steps. Or electric stair climber.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Larry Weingarten
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    We've done it many times with cast iron radiators,  never damaged a radiator.  However,  stairs (risers and treads) can easily get banged up, crack,  chip, etc.  Also, might want to shove a rag in the opening(s), not good when rusty water starts to drool out.
    wmgeorge
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    LOL, It's not the cast iron that will crack, just your back
    reggiethicalpaul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    I'd be far more concerned about the stairs than about the radiator
    reggiethicalpaulwmgeorge
  • rcrit
    rcrit Member Posts: 74
    Options
    You haven't lived until you've ridden a radiator down the stairs.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

delcrossveclecticmn
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Radiator luging should be an Olympic sport, more points if you get the radiator to go through the wall at the foot of the stairs.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    reggiShalomeclecticmn
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    Not directly related but a similar sport to consider....I had a employee that lost control of a Weil McLain 80 intermediate cast iron section (light commercial) on a very large set of stairs that led to the church basement. He is a good snowboard, he surfed that section like it was nothing. Definitely at least a Silver metal ride, perhaps Gold. Somehow the section survived (still in place and functioning some twenty years later). Employee was fine, might have actually improved his snowboarding skills!
    wmgeorgeShalom
  • branimal
    branimal Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Got the radiator down the stairs. I put a block of wood underneath it, and ratchet strapped it to my handtruck. Thanks guys.
    reggiTwoTonesmattmia2
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 512
    Options
    branimal said:
    Got the radiator down the stairs. I put a block of wood underneath it, and ratchet strapped it to my handtruck. Thanks guys.
    Too late now but size does (did) matter..
    Glad you made it safe with no damage.. How's it going back up ?
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    The best way to get it up the stairs is to hire the Hulk and have the green man carry it up for you.

Get it up the stairs the same way you took it down, but do it with two people.

Jake
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Depending on the condition of the outside of the radiator, layers and layers of paint and dust mixed in, you might want to have it blasted and painted. It will cost a bit, but it will look great for a long time and maybe even work better. Use paint rated for at least 250F.

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    It's been a few years, but as I recall, it didn't take a lot more effort to haul a radiator up the stairs than it took to take it down. Lowering a radiator carefully from step to step takes almost as much force as lifting it up one step at a time.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,004
    Options
    In the late 70's, my wife and I decided to add a wood fired boiler to our baseboard hot water system. There is no external entrance to the basement so we had to take it down the stairs through the kitchen.

Fortunately, the doorway faces the kitchen table, which has an adjacent window. I drove my station wagon into the back yard, opened the window and ran a rope from the wagon to the boiler as a safety measure. Then with a couple extra guys helping, we gently lowered it down the steps, without incident.

Larry Weingarten
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    That, @SteamingatMohawk is a delightful red neck approach! Good for you!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SteamingatMohawk
  • eclecticmn
    eclecticmn Member Posts: 121
    Options
    never done it but I learned of LP INTERNATIONAL

Model: M-1 POWERMATE electric stair climbers. Some places rent them. See also youtube.
    Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.