Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Last guy said it runs fine...

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
edited February 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
New Customer..."Can you fix it".
Me..."Nope".
--Hide the kids before viewing. You can't un see this LOL--
This was running before I got there. Customer said it keeps going off on reset, probably just needs a nozzle/filter.
Aluminum pan loosely covering the rotted front plate. Rotted 10" flue pipe into unlined chimney on a 100+ year old house.

steve
ayetchvacker

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Was there a front plate there or did they just fill it all in with asbestos?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Would a hack even touch that one to "keep them going"? Serious question. I don't have a problem with old equipment, but when it's been obviously neglected and missing parts, that I'm guessing can't be acquired any longer...
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Wow. I've seen some old boilers in bad condition but nothing remotely close to the horrific condition of that one. 

I don't know how that even the most clueless person would think that's OK to operate.  I can hear it all now..."it was working great a few days ago...".
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 740
    The disposable aluminum pan is a nice touch. 😳
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    STEVEusaPAMikeAmann
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Thats some Serious Custom Shiz right there....
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    New plate on the front, new flue pipe and liner and it will run.

But should be replaced

If they keep calling people someone will get it running
  • STEVEusaPA

New plate on the front, new flue pipe and liner and it will run.

But should be replaced

If they keep calling people someone will get it running

It's worse than the pictures show. Chamber needs to be re-bricked. End cone and air tube rotted. Unlined chimney falling apart...won't be me.
    And no outside basement entrance, 30" wide rickety steps, and 60 year old oil tank.
    steve
  • STEVEusaPA
    delcrossv said:

The disposable aluminum pan is a nice touch. 😳

The side facing the flame is nice and black/sooty.
    steve
    delcrossvSolid_Fuel_ManayetchvackerSuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited February 2022
    SuperTech said:

Wow. I've seen some old boilers in bad condition but nothing remotely close to the horrific condition of that one. 

I don't know how that even the most clueless person would think that's OK to operate.  I can hear it all now..."it was working great a few days ago...".

The guy has been texting me saying there must be some way to keep it running for another 3 months. I told him I wouldn't even run it for 3 minutes. I literally walked in, took the foil pan off, showed his wife what was going on inside, put the pan back over it, and took some pictures. Told her everything that was wrong and why I'm not even touching it. Didn't touch the burner or anything else.

It's a row home. I actually recommended to her to line the chimney (no matter what they do), get rid of the tank, switch to gas.
    steve
    kcoppHVACNUTSuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Yikes!!

3 strikes and your out!
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    edited February 2022
    What? Some JB Weld and a new roaster pan from the Dollar store and you're good as new. Did you ask them if they had any CO detectors?
    delcrossvdelta T
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 740
    I'm sure I'm dating myself but I have this picture in my mind of Karnak holding the envelope to his forehead and saying "They'll be pushing the reset button until spring"
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    mattmia2kcoppbucksnortSuperTech
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Does the primary control look relatively new because they've been pushing the reset button daily for 30 years?
    delcrossv
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Wow! Wow, if  @STEVEusaPA recommended they switch to GAS it had got to be bad! 

We're you able to find a listing on the aluminum pan? I think it was just too covered in soot and you couldn't read it. Yup....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    delcrossvkcoppSuperTech
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    A case like that you may want to put in call. email/ letter to the local AHJ to tell them what you found and what you did (didnt do)... CYA on something like that.
    Solid_Fuel_ManSuperTech
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 109
    I've seen some poorly serviced equipment in my years. Dry base oil fired boilers, especially with flame coming out the back due to failed chamber, plugged flues, oil all around the burner spewing soot all over in a multifamily absentee landlord building.
    Hey, when they have a service contract to keep it running, you get what you get.
    I've condemned many. These days in NH, a Tech is not allowed to make the unit inoperable and leave the site. Just shut it off at the switch, Red Tag it, notify the customer and try to have them sign the work order. Good luck.
    I always call the local Fire Department and let them know the facts.
    SuperTech
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    That place is the perfect candidate for electrification. A few hundred watt light bulbs in there, and you can remove the flue altogether, maybe some tin foil for some good reflective radiant barrier and call it a day. You should bring a few hundred orange extension cords with you. Make sure they are the 100 footers and that you only need to go 10 feet with them....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    delcrossvSuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804

I don't know, a little paint, a few flowers, a couple of throw pillows...
    delcrossvSolid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    All that stuff on top of the boiler including the baseball are keeping the top from blowing off.

I really was hoping it still had a stack switch :)
    mattmia2SuperTechkcopp
  • STEVEusaPA

All that stuff on top of the boiler including the baseball are keeping the top from blowing off.

I really was hoping it still had a stack switch :)

It still has the hole in the flue pipe and the clamp attached.
    steve
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,571
    Where they elderly? Or, on a tight budget? If so, I feel some empathy for them. My parents furnace looked worse than that before we replaced it. We went from 10 tanks of oil per winter to 2. We smack ourselves for not doing more for them when they were living. Maybe what I am feeling is guilt.
    STEVEusaPA
  • pell
    pell Member Posts: 22
    Did the customer ask, "Is it still under warranty?"
    Ironman
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    pell said:

Bet they still have the receipt.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    May be a stupid question but how does some thing like this get to be in such bad shape? What made the hole in the bottom of the boiler? I wouldn't spend 5 minutes in that house.
  • STEVEusaPA
    bucksnort said:

pell said:

Bet they still have the receipt.
    If they do it's on parchment paper.
    steve
    delcrossvbucksnortSlamDunkkcopp