Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does this install look good?

Options
Jersey2
Jersey2 Member Posts: 165
In researching hvac contractors in my area, one reviewer posted these pictures of the boiler that the contractor installed for them. Looks to be a Williamson. In the review they are very happy with it. I notice that the expansion tank is upside down, and it has all pro-press fittings, I guess those two things are minor issues but I think I prefer soldered joints. If I used this contractor I assume they would install the same system. Does this system look good to you guys?

I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.

Comments

• DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The expansion tank is not upside down unless I'm looking the photo wrong. Looks like it's setup to pump away properly and a relatively clean install. Not familiar with gas so I'll let the pros chime in on that.
    SuperTechIronman
  • Peter_26
    Peter_26 Member Posts: 129
    Options
    I would not go by an online review or a picture of the install to decide if the work performed is adequate. I would get the contractor to come out and give me a quote. If they do not perform a heat loss of the home (for hot water boiler sizing) or a radiator EDR (steam boiler sizing) in their first step I would not hire them at all! What you usually read in many situations is that the contractor just went with the size of the existing boiler to determine the new boiler.
  • DJD775
    Options
    @ Peter_26
    True but why even contact a contractor if his published work looks like crap? It's extremely hard to find good installers and techs so you should take any reviews or pictures into account. Doesn't mean you should hire them, just one data point to consider.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    From what i can see it looks fine
    kcoppRich_49Ironman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    What was the phrase……….Truth in advertising!

Every job is unique. Make them come out. As stated above if they do not take measurements just size for size say no ThankYou. 

Get recommendations from family, friends reviews are worthless!

Peter_26
  • DJD775
    Options
    Reviews from family and friends are only good if they know what a good install is. Most of the time people are satisfied with something that works and most times an oversized bad install "works".
    There is no one best way to find an installer but one of the best things that can be done as a consumer is educate yourself prior to getting estimates. Makes cutting through the BS much easier.
    MikeAmann
  • Peter_26
    Peter_26 Member Posts: 129
    Options
    I have a great idea, just click on "Find a contractor in your area".
  • catastrophy
    catastrophy Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Does one pic look like the plastic covering the chimney hole is sucked in and the other pic looks like it is blown outward? Lol must just be me.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Isolation valves at the circulator would've been nice. Unless they're hiding behind something. 
    Is there a drain above the ball valve on the return to purge, or was everything bled through the rads?
    rick in Alaska
  • DJD775
    Options
    Looks like it is setup to purge from the drain on the supply side right before the ball valve.
    HVACNUT
  • Jersey2
    Options
    I found this contractor from seeing their truck drive past my house, and then looked them up. As for finding a contractor using family and friends, like one person said here, if the system heats the house and the tech was nice, they will recommend them. And like another guy said, if a picture of an install looks bad I would pass on that company. Another thing about the review pages, if every single review is 5 stars I figure they might be fake reviews. And if I see nasty comments from the company to negative reviews it sort of turns me off. Generally I look at the lower stared reviews. I do have a recommendation from a friend and a family member and it happened to be the same company, I will start with them. Great idea about them measuring the radiators. I did the contractor search from here, there wasn't anyone close to me.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Where are you in Jersey if you are ? North , South , where ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Jersey2
    Options
    Rich_49 said:

Where are you in Jersey if you are ? North , South , where ?

Central NJ. What I want is a Burnham series 2 with three zones, and an indirect water heater being one of the zones. I am flexible of the brand but I want a time tested cast iron boiler.
    Thus far, the first contractor that came out measured the radiators, charged me 63 dollars for coming out and has not given me and estimate yet, and another salesman for another company measured the radiators, but would only sell a NTI combi boiler. No charge for him coming out.
  • Jersey2
    Options
    The closest contractor from using the search is 26.5 miles away and it there is a toll road on the route.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    If it is a hot water boiler they should mainly be measuring the house and windows and insulation and working out the heat loss. Measuring the emitters to figure out what water temp you need to cover the calculated heat loss may be a second step depending on what you are trying to accomplish, but a hot water boiler would be sized by the heat loss of the house and possibly by domestic hot water demand depending on if and how the boiler is supplying DHW.
    MikeAmann
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    There are great contractors who, for the purpose of an estimate, wont perform a heat loss or measure EDR. They are typically busy, and they are typically more expensive than others. They also know that most systems are oversized, and they have a pretty good idea of the proper size that will be required. Particularly if they are a local contractor and are familiar with the area. They might have even worked in the house before you bought it.

If a customer is agreeable to the estimated cost, then a proper heat loss or EDR measurement must be done.

You could miss out on a truly great contractor if you demanded he spend a couple of hours doing calculations, only to provide a free estimate.

rick in AlaskaMikeL_2
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    The more messy the original install is—-the greater the skill to put it back together with some professionalism. Contractor needs to peel back the yuck more. A slam bammer merely cuts and connects. 

I’m a little nutty, picky. I would rather get poked on the eye than use a coupling in plain sight- on a new install, on the main supply. And no isolation flanges on the circ. Tank seems upside down but we do that all the time (when we mount on a wall, not sticking up in free air though) 

The grey steel- is that painted? Don’t understand- to each their own. 

Cpvc for the relief pipe on the backflow preventer, I’m just a good old copper guy. No plastic on a boiler install. 

My general goal is to make the install look like it is the original install- not butch couplings everywhere. No “reducing couplings” )reducing 90s yes). Gas lines re routed from the ceiling if needed Gas unions close to the gas valve. Isolation on the expansion tank, and feed/backflow.  

Told you I was a little spazz. I could go on 😀

Gary 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    MikeL_2Peter_26PC7060
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    edited March 2022
    Options
         I rarely do cold call or free estimates without a connection or recommendation - most of my work is generated through referrals.
         I'll survey a boiler replacement including a whole property walk - through; no heat loss initially for several reasons. Most residential  atmospheric boilers are oversized for the entire heating season except for the one or two weeks of design days. And atmospheric boilers aren't available in 10,000 btu size increments.
          In my experience, unprepared homeowners always think bigger is better and often will choose a different contractor offering bigger equipment at a lower cost. It can be hard to compete without a referral, so I don't spend time on a heat loss calc until I'm certain the property owner commits to my estimate.
    realliveplumber
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    MikeL_2 said:

In my experience, unprepared homeowners always think bigger is better and often will choose a different contractor offering bigger equipment at a lower cost. It can be hard to compete without a referral, so I don't spend time on a heat loss calc until I'm certain the property owner commits to my estimate.

If you do that, you should be explaining that, that you will figure out the right size and update the estimate and the quick and easy to understand explanation of why the bigger boiler is worse.