Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inducing fan motor

Options
Hello! 
So I have quite the problem on my hands. Lost heat. Went down and checked the boiler and the inducing fan was not turning on. Removed the unit and took it apart and the "fan" or "winding" part was completely melted up. I just so happen to have another unit that had the exact same model and check that unit before I installed it. Blades were spinning with no resistance so all. Installed the unit. Turned on and was purring like normal. Thought all was good and went down about a half hour later and got another error code. Checked the fan motor and blades were no longer spinning freely. Took it apart and blades were melted again. I'm afraid of ordering a new unit, putting it in, and having the same issue. Was this just a fluke? Or do I have a bigger problem

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    You got a big problem. Please get a competent professional in there to diagnose/fix the problem before you either burn your house down and/or kill someone.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Christine1989HVACNUT
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Pictures of all of this would be helpful.

Is the exhaust pipe going out from the fan plugged anywhere?
    Christine1989
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    Major trouble. Without knowing anything at all about the make and model of your boiler, keep in mind that the inducer fan is intended to pull combustion gas out of the boiler and move it on outside. However, that combustion gas is intended to be pretty cool, and certainly shouldn't damage the fan.

Clearly it's not cool. Which means something is very much amiss elsewhere in the boiler, and you probably need a pro. to come and take a look at it.

In the meantime, turn it off and lock it out.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Christine1989HVACNUT
  • BgautreU
    BgautreU Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I would start by making sure the vent is not blocked. Maybe snow or ice? Check gas pressure and insure the unit is not over firing. I would not put in a new inducer assembly without additional diagnosis.
    Christine1989
  • Christine1989
    Christine1989 Member Posts: 8
    Options

• Christine1989
    Options
    That fan was the first one. The second is in the unit but unit is turned off now. The second one is melted but we caught it before it melted completely. But looks like if we left it it would have looked the same as this one. Not sure if the exhaust is clear but it seems to be. Any suggestions on how to check that?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    That looks like the inlet inducer fan, it would suck the gas thru the valve and put it into the burner chamber.
    There should be no fire going thru that.

You have additional problems.

You need to leave it off...... and call a pro familiar with that boiler.
    Christine1989
  • Christine1989
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. The first time I thought may have just been wear and tear but second definitely made my head hurt from trying to figure it out. Taking your advice and on the phone with a professional right now. Machine and gas is turned off. Fingers crossed my pipes don't freeze!
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Believe it or not, this is good news.  No deaths.  House did not burn down.

You will have a solution.  It may or may not be expensive.  

Tell us what is found.  It may help someone else.

best wishes 
    Christine1989
  • Christine1989
    Options
    My local Larrs professional seem to this the burner cone is bad. He will be out here Wednesday to confirm that was the issue. I'll post here when he's finished fixing it to let you guys know what happened.
    Daveinscranton
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    Call your service provider and get a few elec heaters. 
    Christine1989
  • Christine1989
    Options
    The burner cone was definitely the issue. Take a look at these. The one with no cap was the one on our boiler that was supposed to be our "working" one and the one with the cap is from our spare unit. It's supposed to have that cap! We are so lucky that this didn't burn our house down or take our lives!
  • Christine1989
    Options

• JUGHNE
    Options
    Is that cap still inside of the boiler?
    If so it will have to come out.

You say you have a complete spare unit?
    Christine1989
  • Christine1989
    Options
    Yes it was inside. We've removed and replaced it. Unit is still off because we're going to have our professional come out anyway just to make sure it's sound and we also have to replace the inducer motor again. And yes we have a whole spare unit. We went from just a hot water boiler to a hot water and heat unit but the inside of the old one has the exact same parts. Lol. We were actually going to sell it. Glad we didnt.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Keep in mind this isn't just parts replacement and "See ya!" Something caused this issue and it must be found and resolved. 
    Don't even let the tech inside if they don't have a combustion analyzer. Please post the results along with the Laars specs from the manual. They might want separate high and low fire tests.