Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New AC standards

unclejohn
unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
Was wondering what other's were thinking of the new 2023 regulations. The switch from ozone depletion to " GWP global warming potential " the mildly flammable refrigerant ect. 

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    My thoughts on the GWP is this. Everyone one who reads this has the potential to be a billionaire, most of us won't be. The mildly flammable refrigerant is like being mildly pregnant. Am glad I'm retired but I wish I didn't feel now that I have to start fr scratch to replace my own AC system. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    I think the concentration should be on penalizing manufacturers that build systems that leak. I have dehumidifiers bought since 2010 where the refrigerant went in to the atmosphere.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,374
    CO2 refrigerant has insignificant GWP & no ozone issues. It is already being used.
    And it is dirt cheap. Too bad for chemistry enterprises. Chilled water A/C will also be obsolete.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,111
    Come up with Realistic energy requirements and Stop with what we have. 
  • wmgeorge
    wmgeorge Member Posts: 222
    What those folks don't realize is refrigerants don't leak if properly installed. In the good ole days I remember seeing people dump hundreds of pounds of R22 as it was so cheap, so they could service the system. Wrong, wrong wrong. R12 was used as a propellent in spray cans, wrong again.

Replacing R410a with the R32 is wrong, mildly flammable and what else, but no GWP. !!
    Old retired Commercial HVAC/R guy in Iowa. Master electrician.