Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How long do boiler section seals last?

delcrossv
delcrossv Member Posts: 869
Seems everyone except Burnham has (mostly) jumped on the elastomer seal bandwagon. So, just how long do these seals last in the field?

Big Peerless- carbon (graphite?)
Smaller Peerless- Viton
Smith 19HE- Viton?
Weil McLain- some kind of plastic?

Particularly interested in Viton as those are in the size range I'm looking at.
Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,128
    Depends as much on how carefully they are installed as anything else. If they are pinched, twisted, or cut during installation they may fail right away, or within a year or two. If they are carefully seated following the installation instructions, any of them can last years, if not decades.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delcrossv
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    Viton is probably one of the most durable materials suitable for that application. Teflon won't degrade for something on the order of a century or more but is very hard and more plastic than elastic so it would be difficult to use in that application.

Mcmaster-carr has a good chart comparing o-ring materials and their compatibility with different chemicals.
    delcrossv
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 878
    We have been installing cast iron boilers with 'seals' for mamy years. I have personally installed hundreds of Weil McLain boilers with elastomer rings (gaskets). About two thirds of these boilers (blocks) were assembled at the factory. I would say that we had about six gasket leaks on all of those boilers. Two of them were due to installer error (me), saw it immediately and replaced them. Three of them were from a poor workmanship at the factory. The other one was from dry-firing an older steam boiler after years of neglect. What I'm saying is they are really pretty good and very reliable if you are careful when you install them.
    ethicalpauldelcrossv
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 869
    mattmia2 said:

Viton is probably one of the most durable materials suitable for that application. Teflon won't degrade for something on the order of a century or more but is very hard and more plastic than elastic so it would be difficult to use in that application.

Mcmaster-carr has a good chart comparing o-ring materials and their compatibility with different chemicals.

This one?

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    Yes.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,766
    My first Weil Mclain was 32 years old when it died, and the gaskets didn't fail. It was an EG from 1982
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    delcrossv