Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

VXT-24 installed! Proper amount of make up water?

Options
bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
So on the advice of this board, we replaced our malfunctioning water feeder with a
VXT-24.

Im very interested to be able to track how much water it is adding on its screen.

How much makeup water would be normal for a steam system? Or do you need to know the size of the boiler?
I just want to be able to know if the amounts are within the normal range or not.
If helpful, it is a single pipe steam system serving a 4-family building.

Thank you for any advice or tips on the VXT

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I would strive to keep it below 1 gallon per month during the heating season
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    KC_Jonestommay
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

I would strive to keep it below 1 gallon per month during the heating season

Agreed, but I would ask, what size boiler are we talking about here? Depending on size a bit more could be perfectly normal.

What I can say is the amount Hydrolevel mentions in their manual is too high IMHO. I'd say divide their number by 3 and that would be much more reasonable as a max number.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Also if you have LWCO's that require weekly blow down, they could easily use more than 1 gallon per month just for that purpose.
  • bipbap
    bipbap Member Posts: 191
    Options
    It is a 450k btu boiler if that helps 
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Just record the VXT readings and dates and post the data. In this really cold weather (near Albany, NY) my 134K boiler uses 2 gallons by VXT reading in about 2 weeks. When it's warmer, it's a lot less.

I tend to agree the numbers in the VXT manual seem high, especially for the larger boilers. HOw much escapes through venting depends on the condition of the vents. Leaks are a different story.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Blowdown of float LWCOs is required periodically. I don't think that applies to probe type LWCOs like the CycleGard.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options

Blowdown of float LWCOs is required periodically. I don't think that applies to probe type LWCOs like the CycleGard.

Agreed. And make sure that it triggers the feeder. However... I have a routine which let's me know if I have an actual loss. There is a time delay on my feeder. Therefore, I can operate the blowdown and see if there is a call to the feeder (a light shows on the feeder). If yes, OK -- but then I immediately, before the feeder itself can have a fit, add water back up to where it was when I started manually. This does two things. First, the call indicator light on the feeder should go out again (floats have been known to hang up down, as well as up!) and, second, because of the delay, the feeder never actually calls. Thus, if the feeder has called -- the number has changed -- I know that that's real; a real loss of water from the system, and if that is more than a gallon or so per month (this is a five section Weil-McLain) I begin looking.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England