Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blowdown With King Valves?

Options
@DanHolohan says 10psi blowdowns will extend the life of boilers and @New England SteamWorks does them.  Yet king valves are rarely installed.  Any idea why?  

Does anyone have a video of a 10psi blowdown of a residential boiler?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/L11ywcjSOFA
ranzerox

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Why? King valves aren't cheap. They have to be full port ball type valves. Priced them out lately?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • cross_skier
    cross_skier Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Maybe $60 to $100 for valves.  Seems cheap if they are effective at flushing the muck out of a boiler and extending the life a boiler a few years

@DanHolohan says gate valves or butterfly valves are appropriate for king valves.  I watched @ethicalpaul 's video and he chose ball valves for his risers.  Would ball valves be ok?

• delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    edited January 2022
    Options

Why? King valves aren't cheap. They have to be full port ball type valves. Priced them out lately?

Or rising stem gates in the larger sizes. $$$$

Full port, steam rated ball valves are fine. Don't forget you need to isolate the return as well.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • cross_skier
    Options
    I brought a pair of 2" Nibco T-111 rising stem valves for a $50/shipped.  That's not a lot.  I think they will be suitable.  They were new old stock.

Yes, I'll be using a 1-1/2" ball valve to isolate the return.
    delcrossv
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    My ball valves are getting stiff. This may be a a downfall of all valves...exercise them every season.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    delcrossvcross_skier
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Every steam job should have Dan's set up to remove the mud in the mud leg. A gate valve on the discharge (king valve) and a or butterfly or ball valve for the blow down is not that expensive when compared to the cost of a premature boiler failure. I always preferred USA valves to the foreign junk since the USA valves always lasted much longer.
    cross_skier
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    Options

My ball valves are getting stiff.

You better go see the doctor for that symptom.

ethicalpaulJUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Yes, exercise your valves at least every year, that includes you Paul.

Most of the King valves I have seen are from the 30's & 50's.
    Almost always 10-12' off the floor.
    3-5" flanged gates that have not been touched since installation by dead men.
    A couple have leaking flanges.
    Might just remove them and insert the short piece with flanges instead.

There is a term for that double flanged nipple, can anyone tell me?

I figure I will not even try...might get them closed and not reopened.

Have some 2" ball valves for Kings above steam boilers that are only 20 years old.
    Got 1 out of 4 to move.
    cross_skierethicalpaul
  • cross_skier
    Options
    Thanks, any experience with Nibco T-111's? They are rising stem gate, probably American made.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @cross_skier

The Nibcos are rated 125 psi steam. Cheap valve but ok.

@Jamie Hall Nipple with 2 flanges =spool piece

Not all ball valves are steam rated.

I always like Apollos...probably more $$$$$ than most

They even make Carbon Steel ball valves like the Apollo 89-100 with options for 250 # steam

I would be almost certain those Nibco's are made in China not that it matters
    cross_skier
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Just do the blowdown annually and they'll be fine.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • cross_skier
    Options
    Just to be sure I picked up two Apollo 2" forged carbon steel ball valves for a nice price.  Those are critical valves.  I'll dump the Nibcos on eBay
     Thanks

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    I open and close my king valves yearly but have never used them.
    I wash everything out with a wand.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I have done 2 blowdowns on mine since 2014, with my water treatment it just doesn't get that dirty. The blowdown is....entertaining. It does blast the water out for sure.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15