Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bryant propane furnace

Options
dmannix
dmannix Member Posts: 3
Furnace installed in 2012, the burner assembly has had to be replaced at least once each year. The scroll/turbulater if you call it in the end of burner assembly seems to deteriorate, causing flame failure. Almost appears like they get too hot.
Looking for some ideas

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Was the manifold pressure set using a manometer to factory specs?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    Most furnaces come as Natural Gas and need to be converted to LP or Propane/Butane. Who installed the furnace 12 years ago, was it properly converted? Correct orifices, correct pressure, other baffles or LP kit parts may have been overlooked. Sounds like a Bryant Factory Rep should have visited you years ago!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,629
    Options
    The first thing to do is set down with the IOM & the proper tools (including a combustion analyzer) & check everything. Was the valve converted properly? Orifices changed? Inlet pressure ok, even when all other propane appliances are operating at 100%?
  • dmannix
    dmannix Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes the correct conversion kit was used, manifold pressure set, gas valve converted. Bryant rep also visited when equipment was set up
  • Daveinscranton
    Daveinscranton Member Posts: 148
    Options
    This may be off topic.  But it is very cold out and I don’t have much to do.  Time for a story.

30 years ago the gas company drilled a gas well in my backyard which was 57 acres.  Sweet part was free well head gas for eternity.  I invited my dad over to celebrate my good fortune and my new boiler and new natural gas appliances. Gas pressure was perfect.  My father had worked on locomotives in WW II.  Welder on heavy steel.  Bright guy.  Fearless too.  But not a fool’s courage.

He said: “your gas is too hot.  Your boiler is not going to last.  Nothing else will either.  Too much flame.”

I replied:  “what do you mean?, proper gas pressure and proper natural gas boiler.”

He said: “your gas is too hot.  Your gas, from your well has a high btu content.  For whatever reason. No one is going to help you.  Too much liability.  No one is going to feel sorry for you either.  You need less flame.”

So we got propane (smaller) orifices for everything we could and gradually stepped out the size with a set of 1-80 wire size drill bits.  Some orifices for some appliances we soldered up and drilled.  To the old man’s satisfaction.  I still remember him talking about the color of blue he wanted to see and the height of the flame he wanted, holding up his thumb and index finger of his right hand.

I have since sold the house.  But in the 30 years since, no appliance has needed replacement.

The old guy was right.  Long since deceased.  But he had dealt with bigger problems.  Long ago and far away.