Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat downstairs

Options
Buckeye01
Buckeye01 Member Posts: 2
Can’t figure this out. No valves, but hot water is going right past the downstairs loop and flowing upstairs just fine. 

Comments

• Buckeye01
    Options
    Kinda hard to get a good pic of this screwed up situation but I have no heat on the ground floor(where boiler is) upstairs works great. Only have one thermostat which is downstairs so now the boiler is running running running and the upstairs gets screaming hot and downstairs ice cold. Ive tried ground floor loop but can’t seem to get it to work. I don’t have any zone valves that I can see. Please offer some advice. I even tried bleeding the baseboards and got hot water to them and the supply and return line for the ground floor got hot but didn’t stay hot. Only one circulating pump for both floors and it seems to be working fine since water is flowing upstairs.oor 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Are there any handy valves which you could use to throttle the flow to the upstairs radiators down? Remember that water is lazy -- and it may be the resistance to flow in the downstairs is sufficient to direct most of the water upstairs. For that matter, are there any valves on the downstairs line which might be partly closed?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Buckeye01
    Options
    Everything downstairs seems to be open. The only valve i have involving the upstairs is on the return. Would this do the trick?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    What's the pressure on the boiler?
    If the feed valve open?
    Is the first floor on a concrete slab? Possible leak.
    Can you see your water meter? Is it counting with all appliances off?
    There's a (weird) purge station for the first floor zone. Is there one for the second floor?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It could be a bad circulator and your getting gravity flow upstairs.

What kind of heat emitters (radiators) do your have? What’s the pressure on the boiler gauge?

Can you post some pics of the boiler and its near piping from farther back?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    rick in Alaskamattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,640
    Options
    This worked at some point, right? Did you change anything? It doesn't look like anything has been touched in a couple decades.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Like @Ironman said above, most likely the circulator has failed and your getting gravity/ghost flow to the second floor.
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Did you post here with the same problem yesterday?
    It is best to continue with the same posting.
    You can edit the header to include your purging question.

Tommay has a point about those 1/4 turn valves. Rotate them as they could be cruded up inside.
    You may have to loosen the hex packing nut the screw is inside of.
    Only loosen 1/2 turn, no more, rotate screw several times and then leave it set parallel to the pipe. Snug the nut back up as it may drip.

Then if no improvement......shut off the power switch....... then unwire the pump that might not be running as mentioned, turn power back on for boiler to fire and after a few hours if no change in the upstairs heat you might assume the pump is not running.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    @Buckeye01, I've merged your two posts into one here.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    JUGHNE