Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

follow up

Fmassarotto_9
Fmassarotto_9 Member Posts: 111
i posted a question yesterday in which jamie responded to about my brand new air vents hissing annoyingly and spitting water and was told the pressuretrol may have bene to high. i adjusted it just now, is this better, seems like it's 2 on the main and 1 or 1.05 on the diff 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Should be OK.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fmassarotto_9
    should this help the hissing and spitting with the vents? if this doesn't do it what else should i tru 
  • Fmassarotto_9
    tommay said:
    If they are "spitting" then they probably have some water in them...Take them off and shake them out and make sure you can blow through them. A little WD40 and shake.

Sorry, i'm confused, i had universal come out and do the repairs and they wnat another 125 to come out and look at it and i want to avoid that. As stated in my previous post he came out looked at the boiler and determined it was fine. he replaced 2 valves and there is slight improvement. i lowered the pressuretrol to the pic above which jaime said should be ok. after that the boiler came on and the two valves started spitting out water and releasing steam. i know because i took a mirror and it fogged it up. are these vents defective? 

• Fmassarotto_9
    Should be OK.

Sorry for repetive questions, im trying to avoid having universe come back as they want 125 to come look it. i lowered the pressuretrol and mentioned before and noticed the boiler cycled on and off about 2 times while heating from 67-69. in simpler terms it cycled on and off about 2 times in an hour. this wouldn't be a concern right?

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    @Fmassarotto_9, we don't talk money here. It's one of the few rules we have.
  • Fmassarotto_9
    @ratio
    Sorry, i just want to try and avoid the extra expense
  • Fmassarotto_9
    tommay said:
    Well if they changed the vents because they say they weren't working before, then during that time water was building up in the radiators. That water is now trying to come out and you are seeing it happen. You can remove the vent, run the heat, and let whatever water is in the radiator blow out. Then turn off the radiator, let it cool, then screw the new vent back in. Make sure radiators are pitched. Understand, any air that comes out of the vent is going to be hot water vapor, so your mirror is always going to show moisture and there is always gonna be some minimal loss. Air going through a hole is no different than a flute...there's gonna be some "noise".

i did not know that, i thought they were supposed to let out just regular air like what you'd find from a compressor. and that it would last a few seconds. but it makes noise the whole duration the boiler is on. but if that's normal that's great. il do what you said and run them with out the vent for a few. hopefully it works. thanks again.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I looked at your first post.
    You said a tech come out and checked everything.
    Did he take apart the pigtail and insure it was not plugged, and the fitting into the boiler was clear also.

Many times the problems that show up are from partially clogged pigtails that do not let the control or gauge show the real pressure inside. Because of the clog the pressure has to build up a lot to push thru the sludge to make the control shut off.

This is basic steam boiler maintenance.....as it the first thing to check.

Can you post pictures of your boiler showing piping floor to ceiling and the position of the control and gauge?
  • Fmassarotto_9
    JUGHNE said:
    I looked at your first post. You said a tech come out and checked everything. Did he take apart the pigtail and insure it was not plugged, and the fitting into the boiler was clear also. Many times the problems that show up are from partially clogged pigtails that do not let the control or gauge show the real pressure inside. Because of the clog the pressure has to build up a lot to push thru the sludge to make the control shut off. This is basic steam boiler maintenance.....as it the first thing to check. Can you post pictures of your boiler showing piping floor to ceiling and the position of the control and gauge?

excuse the clothes hanger, 

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Can you show the pipes near the floor on either side of the boiler.
    Also a fair close up of the pigtail under the control and also the gauge.

Does the gauge ever move?
  • Fmassarotto_9
    JUGHNE said:
    Can you show the pipes near the floor on either side of the boiler. Also a fair close up of the pigtail under the control and also the gauge. Does the gauge ever move?

i could get the pics for you tomorrow as i had to step out for the night, but the gauge moves very very slightly, you need to look closely to see it

• Fmassarotto_9
    JUGHNE said:
    Can you show the pipes near the floor on either side of the boiler. Also a fair close up of the pigtail under the control and also the gauge. Does the gauge ever move?
    here are the images of the floor, 
  • Fmassarotto_9
    Should be OK.

quick question for you, i was looking at the old valves i replaced and 4/7 i repalced were closed. they were the small varivalve with the little tab on the front that slides left to right. is it possible that this is causing the spitting water and all? i thought maybe it was because the ones that were open and partially open were the ones needing to push out all the air. i could be wrong.