Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 weeks brand new boiler and radiator leaking

needhelppls
needhelppls Member Posts: 8
edited January 2022 in Strictly Steam
These are brand new installed. I had no issues for the first week of winter but now water keeps coming out of the air valve. I had to close the air valve of 2 radiators to prevent water from shooting

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    You could start by running the second pressuretrol -- the one without the push button -- down to where it should be, just above the 0.5 marking at the bottom of the scale. It's much too high now.

Then I'm not sure what kind of "air valve" that is; it is not familiar to me, but I wonder if it is, in fact, a proper steam vent. If it is, it's very much in the wrong place on the radiator (it should be about a third of the way up from the bottom).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    needhelppls
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    Silly question, but do you have a pic of the old boiler?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Some pictures of the boiler and the piping from far back. And of the "vent" on some other radiators. Those valves you show are expansion disc type automatic hot water air vents although I think they say something about steam in their marketing, they really are for hot water.
    needhelpplsJohnNY
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    Admitttedly, I am not a detecitve but I have been working on steam and hot water heating systems since the 1980's. When I look at you photo that includes the lower gauge glass cock, I'm amazed it's only two weeks old. There is already a little green 'growing' on the valve body and the handle is loaded with dirt or dust. Not that it really matters, but was this a used boiler?

The gauge glass indicates the boiler needs a good cleaning. Perhaops the boiler was inatalled as an emergency and the contractor planned on coming back in the near future?

The radiator vents appear to be for hot water radiators, not steam systems. This system requires vents deigned for steam.

The gray (non-windowed) pressure control should be set lower as others suggested.
    needhelpplsbucksnort
  • needhelppls
    doing all this and will send pics of updates! Thank you all 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    I sure hope he didn't put a steam boiler on a hot water system.

My gut is feeling funny on this one
    mattmia2bucksnortdelcrossvratio
  • needhelppls
    I just updated the PSI to .5 and uploaded all pics of the vents. Please lmk. The contractor will be back to take a look himself. Advise what i should ask / change 
    bucksnort
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Put steam vents on those 2 radiators. Those hot water automatic vents likely are allowing air out but not back in so the radiator may be filled with condensate.

The boiler needs to be skimmed if is wasn't as part of the installation, probably a couple times. The oils from the new piping will make it surge and throw water up in to the mains.
    needhelppls
  • ScottSecor
    The water in the gauge glass looks a little better, that's a good thing. Could you post a picture of the radiator from a little furhter away (so we can see the piping that supplies the steam). It almost appears as the radiator may be designed for a hot water system.

With regard to the 3/4" black pipe that goes from the bottom of the boiler to the top (where the manual reset pressure control sits) is an unusal way to install this. Typically, the second (m.r.) pressure control would come off the same piping as the first pressure control. The tapping that the installer used is actualy designed for the boiler drain. I suspect it will be impossible to fully drain the boiler without this drain in place, In my mind the sediment will always want to sit on the bottom of the boiler. Yes, I see the drain on the return tee a few inches away, but this is an inch ot two above the tapping I am referrig to,
    needhelppls
  • needhelppls
    Now that the PSI is at .5. The boiler and radiators are all silent. No water flying out at the moment
  • needhelppls
    The boiler isn’t firing up now and is silent. I don’t hear it boiling water to create steam. 
  • Jamie Hall

The boiler isn’t firing up now and is silent. I don’t hear it boiling water to create steam. 

Are you asking it to? If so, what are the settings of the two scales on the pressuretrol?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • needhelppls
    when i move the psi back to 2, it fired back up. Any thoughts? 
  • ScottSecor
    Pigtail could be plugged or you went below the threshold on the pressure control. Raise crank the flat head screw slightly.  
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
    Interesting piping on the manual reset pressuretrol
  • needhelppls
    okay I’m done playing with the setting since nothing works. I’ll have a to do list for him:
    skim the boiler
    replace the air valves
    Are any of the radiator actually hot water ones? That i should ask to replace 
  • Jamie Hall

when i move the psi back to 2, it fired back up. Any thoughts? 

Differential was set too high.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    The siphon tube running top to bottom on that boiler is a way of adding a LWCO or a condensate pump controller on some commercial/scotch marine installations. It gives the installer height options at which to set the system's water line.
    It's not helping the manual reset pressuretrol.
    That, the high pressure setting, and the fact the installer couldn't resolve problems with the system above the boiler room leads me to believe this was installed by someone with commercial/industrial boiler experience. It's very different from installing equipment at the residential level.
    I'd love to know what it says on that piece of white tape and it looks like there's another one behind the pressuretrol.
    I'd also like to know why there's a manual reset pressuretol at all. Perhaps this is a multi-family or mixed-use building.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • needhelppls
    This is a SFH which is even more crazy from what I’m reading from y’all now… i hope he’s above to resolve this. It’s been freezing lately and i can’t have the heater down