Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

If I Knew Then

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
imageIf I Knew Then

My dad used to say, “Kid, most of what you worry about ain’t never gonna happen.” He said this to me all the time. If I had known this (I mean, really known this) when I started my business, I would have spent a lot less time lying awake and staring at the ceiling. Most of the scary stuff never happened.

Read the full story here

Shane_2Tinman

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Dan, I believe that we are here to learn and grow, and enjoy life as we can along the way. These recollections of yours reinforce my belief in the most eloquent way! There's a lot of truth in there. Thankyou!

Yours, Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    What a wonderful little essay... and so true, so true.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I haven't read that one in years. I just read it again, smiled, and nodded. All that I said is even more true in these times than it was then.

And yes, especially the part about the LEGO. Grandkids.
    Retired and loving it.
    Shane_2LS123
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Great advice Dan. When my girls were in their teens and after I had a chance to learn a hard lesson or two about life, I’d tell them to write down the current catastrophic problem on a piece of paper and revisit it in a week. Most times, they barely remembered it.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Good advice, Steve. I always told my daughters not to bleed before they’re shot. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Wonderful words of wisdom.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Steven_Bangs1966
    Options
    So true. We often overwhelm ourselves with scenarios that are beyond our control and to forgive is sometimes hard but once you do and move on you will be happier
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Dan, Those words are so true.

Even though we know the catastrophe a'int going to happen (imaginary disaster) if we do not ponder or lay awake at night worrying or planning our next step we will never be successful in our indeavor's. Pondering is a release from the fear of the unknown.

In my case I was born a little fearless, that was ok even though at times I made big mistakes, we learn from our mistakes and become better.

Pondering leads to good planning, so whats to worry! For those that are at my age (80) I had a good friend His name was ALFRED NEWMAN his main lesson was WHAT ME WORRY!!.

Jake
    mrhemi