Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blower Motor keeps burning up

Timster
Timster Member Posts: 1
I have a Lennox CB29M-65-3P.
In early November a electrician run a second feed to the unit to power transformer and blower motor, while the first feed powers the heating coils.
About a month later the blower motor (older than 4 years) burned out.
The home warranty send out a tech, they replaced the blower motor, which burned up in 10 minutes.
Then another tech changed the relay for the blower motor, and another tech put in yet another blower motor, which lasted 7 days before burning up (and "electrical burning smell was present the entire time").

They NEVER replaced the capacitor, claiming it was fine (also older than 4 years).

Now they claim the redundant feed is causing the issue, though the measured voltage at the relay going to the blower is 250V (hence I doubt the feeds are the issue).

I think that either:
The capacitor is weak and causing the issue
They installed the wrong motor two times

Thoughts?
Also how can i find the right motor model and capacitor for the unit?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,111
    The issue is the Warranty Company. Lazu and cheap not changing the cap with a motor.
    Contact a competent contractor.
    TimsterSuperTech
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    I'd go with wrong motor 2 times. Is it a 240v motor? Was the original motor bad or just the cap?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    Could be a multispeed motor wired wrong.

If 2 of the speed wires are connected to power the smoke can come out.

Why was the redundant feed run?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Maybe they should replace the furnace door or the gas valve. Or, crazy though, find out what's going on & repair it correctly.