Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The wiring?

casualrad
casualrad Member Posts: 12
Pipes freezing and I can't find a single contractor to take this job. I need to wire a propane burner on used boiler. Think somethings missing.  Anyone willing to look at some pics and advise?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    If you post some pictures and a clear explanation of the issue you are having, I am sure someone here will give it a look.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,111
    casualrad said:

Pipes freezing and I can't find a single contractor to take this job. I need to wire a propane burner on used boiler. Think somethings missing.  Anyone willing to look at some pics and advise?

Why? Thats a lot of liability.
  • casualrad
    I have a Honeywell s89f and another little box that the thermostats wires enter.
    But I do not know where the circulator connects? What control do I need to set boiler temp? Is there another control module missing here?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    @casualrad

Did you check "find a contractor " on this site and post your location. This is not a diy project unless you know what your doing
    Rich_49SuperTech
  • Zman
    This is not going to be a "paint by numbers" project. Yours appears to be taken apart to the point where someone needs to go through it and make sure the safeties are wired correctly.
    What area are you in where not a single contractor will look at it? Who swapped the boiler? What do the piping and venting look like?
    Albert Einstein
  • casualrad
    I'm in Ontario. Just far enough from the bigger cities to limit my options. This is supposed to replace an old 1912 coal burning furnace.  As soon as I say "boiler" the hvac people say No.
    Daveinscranton
  • Zman
    Who installed it? Can you post pictures of the whole system?
    Albert Einstein
  • casualrad
    Friend with gas fitting licence but no more hydronic knowledge than anyone else around. I have the temp control that attaches to outgoing pipe. But he didn't even touch the controls for this.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Your pump needs to be rotated 90 degrees so that the pump shaft is horizontal. I assume the pex runs are high going to high temp emitters?
    Steve Minnich
  • casualrad
    Iron rads
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,567
    edited January 2022
    As a rule, i always set the vent connecter first. Then i assemble all the other stuff for easy access. This way, all the other pipes, controls and accessories that need to be serviced from time to time, will not be covered up by a 300° or higher vent pipe. The way things look now, your vent connector will be right in front of the expansion tank. Unless the white rapper is covering the chimney liner (I'm looking at the other large hole in the wall)

Correct the circulator configuration based on manufacturers instruction. Also you can look for the wiring diagram on one of the heating unit panels. Sometimes they are on a removable access door. Otherwise look on the web for the I/O manual for your model number of the propane heater. If you are handy and can read an electrical diagram, all the info you need is there. If you can't read and understand the diagram, then you need a pro.

Can't find a Pro on the "Find a contractor" link here, Then go the the plumbing and heating supply house in your area. Ask the counterman or the store manager who of their customer's understands boilers and or hydronics and does that kind of work?

BTW The pipe fitter has some things right... at least 18" of approach piping before the air scoop and the circulator is pumping away from the expansion tank. :smiley: Thumbs up

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

casualradSuperTech
  • casualrad
    The vent pipe will actually rise in the middle of that 18 inch run. Keeping the tank and the shut off reasonably clear on each side. Kinda worked out well on that end.  
    I'll have to revisit the diagrams. Maybe more to learn there.  4 wiring set ups in the manual. None for propane burner. None match what's in front of me.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    Is this an oil boiler you are converting to gas with a gas power burner?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,111
    How was the size of the boiler chosen?
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 254
    pecmsg said:

How was the size of the boiler chosen?

Probably the same way 70% of the professionals do, rule of thumb or what was there already.
    pecmsg
  • Zman
    Was the burner previously installed on the boiler, if so how did it become unwired?
    Doing a burner conversion is very technical. You need to be very well versed in combustion and be capable of tuning it with a combustion analyzer. This really is not a DIY job.
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2SuperTech
  • casualrad
    If I could find a technician, I wouldn't be here. That simple.

I've figured (I think) that power and circulator both enter the same unit as the thermostat. 
     (The unit I have should probably be replaced with a new one that might include wiring instructions.)
    From there, power continues to low water cutoff along with the water temp control. Then power will flow to burner unit.

Any more of the constructive opinions are most appreciated!
  • Zman
    If it should all be wired per manufactures instructions. If you are having trouble finding those you should be able to get them from the manufacture.
    There is a specific way this needs to be setup. If you accidentally bipass  a safety or  setup the prepurge or interlock on the burner incorrectly you really can blow the whole thing up.
    my “constructive” advise is to either follow the manufactures instruction to a T or hire a professional.
    Albert Einstein
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 254
    I can't tell if this is what you have but here is the manual for a Heatwise burner for a Biasi boiler. Like has been said before if you are unsure what you are doing don't wing it and keep hunting down a pro.
    http://qhtinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/QHTSU2AManual-1.pdf
  • mrhemi
    mrhemi Member Posts: 28
    Where abouts in Ontario are you located? It is a big place.
    You are correct, most HVAC contractors here and hydronic heating do not play well.
    Licensed Steamfitter.
    Licensed Instrumentation & Control Technician.
  • casualrad
    I'm near Woodstock/Cambridge.  Called around as far as Simcoe.