Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I turn off a single radiator in my hotwater system?

I have 3 radiators on the bottom floor of my house, and 2 on the top floor. None of my radiators have lockshield valves or thermostatic valves. I plan to figure out a long-term solution to balance my radiators more effectively, once I learn more about the system.

In the mean-time, as a short-term solution, can I just turn off one of the radiators on my top floor? The top floor gets too hot, and the bottom floor doesn't get hot enough. I have heard that turning off radiators in steam systems can cause issues with the pressure. Is this something I need to worry about with a hot water system?

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 954
    Yes, you can safely turn off one of your radiators to balance the system without causing pressure problems.

The major concern is the possibility of freezing the radiator supply and return pipes, if they run in exterior walls or are exposed to cold drafts and you are in a cold climate. Hot water radiator valves are supposed to allow a minimum flow  when closed to prevent frozen pipes, but this is sometimes not the case, especially if a system has been altered.

Bburd
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    Might be better partly closing both just a little. 
    Another consideration is lowering the water temperature. 
    SlamDunk