Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Type of conduit required for thermostat wire above a boiler in Massachusetts

Options
mediaman
mediaman Member Posts: 3
I'm running new 18/5 thermostat wire to my boiler because I'm installing some smart thermostats. What type of conduit is required for the thermostat wire above a boiler in Massachusetts? Rigid metallic conduit, flexible metallic conduit, ...?
Thank you!
MikeAmann

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Can’t go wrong with EMT. 
  • mediaman
    Options
    Thank you! I'm a homeowner and the conduit would need about 5 bends, and I don't have the tool or experience, so I'd rather use flexible if it is up to code.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    How is the current thermostat wiring protected near the boiler? Requirements for low voltage wiring is not the same as 120/240 circuits. Hopefully someone from mass can chime in if they have any additional requirements.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    There are pre-bent EMT 90°s available, as well as ells, conduit bodies, & other fittings. You can generally piece it together without a bender.

NB: The Code limits the total bends in a conduit run between pulling points (boxes, etc.) to 360° (e.g. 4x 90°s). Some fittings count as a pull point.

• Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    If your locality follows NEC code, conduit is not necessary as long as your wire is not too close to damaging heat or abrasion. If your code requires other, you should be able to contact your local dept of permits and inspection to get your information. I hear its taxpayer funded. If conduit is required, plastic may be approved in your area. Cut and glue easy peezy.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Here we use EMT up to the ceiling. Not code but it makes a neater job.

If the electrician is running conduit just have him make a second piece.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    I am a MA electrician. No need for any conduit but you can certainly use it if you want. It's a better job.

The only reason conduit would be required would be to protect the wire from physical damage. Wether in conduit or not it should be kept some inches away from heat
    MikeAmann
  • mediaman
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!

The current thermostat wiring is protected near the boiler by EMT up to the ceiling and away from the boiler about a foot. The boiler is also about 45 years old, so I thought code requirements might have changed since then. ;-)

I'll try to get in touch with my local wiring inspector and ask my question there, too. GREAT point about it being taxpayer funded! ;-)

If I don't use conduit, I'll be sure to protect the wire from physical damage/abrasion and away from heat.
    MikeAmann