Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help managing water temps on two different water loops

jdrudolp
jdrudolp Member Posts: 2
Hello, I am trying to figure out how to balance my boiler system. I have a Lochinvar KHB155N boiler and a ZVC406 Taco 6 value controller. I have four zones, three that are old school cast iron radiators that I have set to 140F, and one that is connected to Runtal baseboard heaters in a basement I am remodeling that I have set to 180F.

The problem I'm having is that per the boiler operation manual (100305277_20000558126 Rev D Page 64), when two loops on different set points call for water at the same time, it will set the water temp to the higher temp. Unfortunately when my old cast iron radiators heat up to 180F they are HOT, and tend to overshoot the desired room temps for the upstairs, and then stay hot for hours. Some are also close to beds and I worry about the kids touching them accidentally, etc.

What I'd like to do is have the opposite happen, when both call for water I'd like the boiler to push the lower 140F water until such time that the cast iron radiator thermostats are at temp, and then go back to 180F if the basement thermostat is still not at temp.

Anybody know if this is possible, and if so, how to make this happen?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments