Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How would you support this horizontal Amtrol EX-30 expansion tank?

wcweaver3
wcweaver3 Member Posts: 51
edited January 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi,
In a previous topic about my Burnham hydronic heating system, there were some comments about my horizontally mounted expansion tank not being supported and that if it became water logged, it might break off. I'd like to mitigate that eventual risk.

Attached are two pictures (side and straight on) of the tank. Understood that horizontal mounting is not ideal. In discussing this with my heater install guy, the only place to install it vertically would be directly in front of a door that goes into a finished basement bathroom. You'd hit your head on it every time. Apologies for attaching the photos, but each time I try to insert them into the body of the text, I just get a URL address.

Anyway, the tank is sort of just sticking out there, at an angle from the furnace and the stairwell that the furnace is tucked under. In an internet review, it appears the best options are the HydroClaw HC11-A or the HoldRite Mounting Bracket for this type of situation. Both of these sytems, however contemplate bolting it to a wall which is not my situation.

I was thinking about A ) using either one (HydroClaw or HoldRite) and then using pipe strap to support it from a joist which is about 43" directly above the outer quarter of the tank (if you slice the tank into quarters, then the inner quarter would be closest to the furnace and the outer quarter would be closest to the indicator cap/air stem). I could also B) use either one and attach the support to the side of stairwell near the tank, but I am concerned about it exerting a side force to the tank and threads. I could also C), just use pipe strap only and "belly band" the tank and secure the pipe strap to the joinst 43" directly above it. Finally, I could D) use the Hydroclaw and build some type of stand to support it from the bottom. The closest thing I've read similar to this is someone just using a 2X4 propping up a tank from the bottom. I haven't seen a commercially available product that would do this (option D).

I welcome anyone's ideas, throughts and/or products about how to address this problem.

Thank you!!

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,756
    edited January 2022
    I'ld go as simple as hardware strap / plumbing strap to the floor joist above,
    side nailed / screwed, (not to the bottom edge),
    a simple snug cradle under the tank and back up to joists,
    known to beat dead horses
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,031
    It's got an isolation valve, shut it off and repipe it so the tank is vertical like it's supposed to be. 1 nipple and 1 elbow. No additional support needed
    MikeAmannPC7060HVACNUTrick in Alaska
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,111
    GroundUp said:
    It's got an isolation valve, shut it off and repipe it so the tank is vertical like it's supposed to be. 1 nipple and 1 elbow. No additional support needed
    I agree but would still put a hanger on it. 
    PC7060
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,814
    one of these two brackets, tuck it under the stairs
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ZmanRich_49
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    I mentioned a longer nipple and a 90 and then a hanger on the nipple in my previous post on your other thread. The tanks are supposed to be hung vertical.

Don't know what the problem could be.

Same thing as @GroundUp mentioned
  • wcweaver3
    Thank you for the reminder, I sincerely appreciate it. My challenge is that if I can "get away with" a horizontal installation with a support hanger versus calling the heating people, again, and spending hundreds and hundreds to get it repositioned. Within 15 months, I've spent several thousands swapping out two failed B&G circulator pumps, installing a new pump clutch, installing a new Grundfos pump, installing a low water cutoff and replacing the original expansion tank. I then had to pay for a new company to come out and remove that tank and install a new tank and put it before the circulator pump, not after it as it was originally. This was done because it was over pressurizing and dumping water on the floor. After all that, it is finally working well and the pressure is consistenltly about 18 rather than 25 to 30+. Finally, there are no issues, but I am on a first name basis with all the heating technicians at my current company. I am reluctant to make more changes to a system that's finally working well. I really do appreciate all the kind and thoughtful recommendations, and I have followed through with nearly all of them. So, here's my queston - would a horizontal installation of an expansion tank, with a support system, pose a safety issue or damage the system somehow? As I read posts around the internet, it's suggested that expansion tanks can be mounted in any direction as long as they are somehow supported. It is hypothesized that manufacturers recommend a vertical installation because they don't want to deal with the headaches when a horizontal installation, that isn't supported, gets waterlogged and breaks off the pipe. Thoughts?
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,031
    Not to be snarky, but if you can't handle three 1/2" pipe threads you can't handle a hanger either. There is nothing to it. Even if you have to go buy a wrench, it'll cost you $40 and take 3 minutes to turn the tank the right way and avoid the hanger. The reason they're supposed to be hanging is because horizontal or upside down leaves an air pocket on the water side of the tank, which causes oxidation of the tank.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,814
    The Amtrol engineering guide does allow horizontal mounting, as long as the tank is supported. Zilmet installation manual shows tanks mounted nipple down. I’m not convinced mounting position is as critical as proper support?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    Either way, since the vale is already installed to isolate the tank it's a 20 min job if you take your time and have the material on hand. a 90 deg elbow, a nipple some pipe dope a roll of hanging strap and a few screws

and a little water on the floor
  • wcweaver3
    Ah! Many thanks for the guidance - I didn't realize it would be that simple. Thank you!