Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McClain Boiler Overheating (With Pictures)

Options
Reynz_2
Reynz_2 Member Posts: 98
edited December 2021 in Gas Heating
During a service appointment, technician found that apparently the boiler had overheated, and melted a vertical line down the side of the case, in the area of the igniter. It follows the same line down the boiler as the gasket for the heating chamber. Also discovered tank filled with water, and the expansion tank had water in it. They want to do a complete replacement of the system for $$K with a new boiler and indirect heater. I have another company trying to determine if it can be fixed. Any comments?

Comments

• jinbtown
    jinbtown Member Posts: 40
    Options
    First, no reason to replace your indirect unless it's scrapped / broken / leaking.

That outside case is plastic right? You're lucky your house is standing and you're alive! Is there some reason they can surface the boiler gasket surfaces and put a new gasket in? It just looks like it was blowing hot exhaust gases past the gasket and things got melty.
    Reynz_2
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    Thanks, yes it is plastic.  A technician that came out this morning, a separate one, felt that some sensors were bad, but he wasn't sure. He was going to call WM technician, and see what they can do.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    The Ultra always had issues , largest one to speak of is the Aluminum heat exchanger . I suggest replacing now at an opportune time . Unless there is something wrong with your indirect , keep that .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    HVACNUTSuperTechIronman
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    I install Weil-McLain Ultras frequently. Judging by Honeywell's MCBA controller (which was supposed to change the world when it came out), I'd say yours is the first generation, making it pretty old.

Unless you can say for sure that a technician recently replaced a heat exchanger gasket which didn't seat properly and let lots of hot gases escape, my vote would be to replace the boiler now. If this is a case of a recent attempt at seasonal maintenance gone wrong, I'd say let someone put another gasket in.
    The other issues you list, like a ruptured expansion tank, are simple maintenance items to be replaced as needed.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    HVACNUTSuperTechEdTheHeaterMan
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    Guys, serious question,
    this is heat failure on the cover??
    it looks like someone attacked it from outside with an ice pick, or something,
    yes, I see the heat on the spark insulator(other pictures)
    but this is heat on the cover ?
    Reynz_2 said:

known to beat dead horses
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    Oh my, i can assure you it was not attacked.  It was something caused by the heater.  My triplets are 20, and did not cause the damage.  It seems as someone mentioned earlier, that the heat blew past the gasket, after some sort of overheating, and melted the side of the plastic case.  It works fine now overall, but there must have been an extreme overheating event 
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options
    That is a front cover gasket failure. Easy fix.
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    Let's hope.  It has been a great, great boiler for 19 years.   While the boiler has had its problems according to reviews, this one has NEVER been a problem.  Thanks all!!!
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    it appears there was a recall in about 2014 for a faulty plug that blew out or dislodged, causing exhaust gases to spill into the interior. I'll be calling well McLean about this tomorrow, that could be an issue as well. I don't ever remember hearing about a recall.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Reynz_2 said:
    Let's hope.  It has been a great, great boiler for 19 years.   While the boiler has had its problems according to reviews, this one has NEVER been a problem.  Thanks all!!!
    The Series 4 Ultra is a nice boiler. Should be an easy swap if the near boiler piping is correct. 
    There is a specific pattern (shown in the manual) to tightening the nuts on the front plate of the HX.
    If you're going to just replace the gasket, realize there's been cross contamination going on the whole time it's been leaking. A combustion test must be done. 
    JohnNY
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    Choice Home Warranty responded to the claim I filed on my boiler. They said they do not cover claims where the property is damaged by a fire, and they indicated that the damage to my boiler was caused by a fire.  You can't make this stuff up 
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    It really does look like it was stabbed repeatedly. Home warranties are a scam. I'm sorry they took advantage of you.  In my opinion 19 years is a good run for that particular boiler.
    kcopp
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    I have never experienced a gasket failure on any series of WM ultra. In my short time as "The HVAC Expert" for a Supply Company in Pleasantville NJ, I did find plenty of "installer error." My question would be "Who did the previous maintenance on the boiler?" If it was the same company as the one who proposed the new system, I would be sceptical. A properly worded letter from your attorney might get you some compensation on a proper repair/replacement from that contractor. $$$ is a lot of money to pay for a damaged caused by a mistake by a rookie tech a year ago. Especially one caused by the company who will profit from it.

Just thinking out loud.

There may not be a lot of profit on the boiler Job. But I would take a replacement boiler at no less than 20% off the quoted price. Try for 30%
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Reynz_2
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I have never seen a gasket just randomly fail. What I usually see is the the gasket was not properly installed during a cleaning and got pinched or that the cover bolts were not properly tightened. The front cover was not damaged by a fire in the classic sense but the gasket failure is not a warranty issue. Manufacturers warranty against defects in their workmanship not lack of maintenance or human error.
    Reynz_2
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    UPDATE:  Can't get anything over on the HVAC professionals on the wall. My son and I examined further today, opened up the front cover, and discovered that seven of the 11 nuts on the outside of the heat exchanger cover were less than a hand tight.  The boiler heat exchanger was last serviced in 2015, We are lucky nothing else happened between then and now.  Just wanted to post this as a validation for the many who indicated that it was technician installation error. It obviously was
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Reynz_2 said:
    UPDATE:  Can't get anything over on the HVAC professionals on the wall. My son and I examined further today, opened up the front cover, and discovered that seven of the 11 nuts on the outside of the heat exchanger cover were less than a hand tight.  The boiler heat exchanger was last serviced in 2015, We are lucky nothing else happened between then and now.  Just wanted to post this as a validation for the many who indicated that it was technician installation error. It obviously was
    So what are the combustion test results?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I would like to see the other side of that cover...
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    That cover is clearly melted. Is there a torque spec in the manual for that cover? In aluminum proper torque is really important or the bolts can loosen or the parts can warp. It may have been tight but not properly tightened and loosened over time as the aluminum heated and cooled.
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    I will tell you this, seven of the 10 nuts were not even hand tight. The other four seemed to be at least hand tight, as we could not move them by hand.
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    There's not been any other test results. I have called our very reliable, trustworthy and competent contractor who had serviced our heating system over the past 12 years, and indicated that he needed to conduct repair, and that I am absolutely positive beyond a shadow of a doubt, that his technician who performed maintenance on the heat exchanger previously, had not tightened up all of the nuts.  I know he will be 100% responsive.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I would call the last company that serviced the boiler and ask them if they are going to make this right, or if you need to contact an attorney? Let them know the choice belongs to them. Do it in writing. Make sure the company receives the letter by sending two copies. One by first class mail and one by certified, return receipt.

See if they will stand by their work. (AKA Mistake) And reference this discussion thread in the letter.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    realliveplumber
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    Reynz_2 said:

After 7 years you expect the contractor to warranty their work. Good Luck.
    realliveplumber
  • Reynz_2
    Options
    I have contacted 
    The company. I have absolutely every confidence that they will make the repair. I would be absolutely shocked if they did not. We have had a long personal and professional relationship.