Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary secondary piping

Options
Spag74
Spag74 Member Posts: 16
I just recently installed my first primary/secondary piping to a gas boiler that supplies a diverter tee system to the 1st & 2nd floors and a radiant loop to the kitchen . After filling up the system to bleed I still needed to go upstairs to bleed off the radiators. I thought Dan said that by installing the piping this way I do not have to go upstairs to bleed off the radiators. Did I do something wrong or this doesn’t work so well on the diverter tee system Bc water is traveling the path of least resistance? Please get back to me because I was really disappointed with my results on the bleeding part

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Diverter tee systems are always hard to get the water out.

I had a house I sold with diverter tees and i dreaded having to drain it to fix something and I was pumping away.

It usually took me bleeding the baseboard twice to get all the air out
    IronmanZmanTom_133
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    P/S piping is for the purpose of hydraulically separating two circuits while allowing them to mix and transfer heat to each other. If you have a house circuit that was difficult to bleed (such as a Monoflo), adding a primary loop won’t change that.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Yeah a boiler without PS piping and pumping away from the EX tank is supposed to make monoflow easier to bleed.

I still had trouble bleeding at my house.

Trouble was (I think) I had an existing 1 1/4" monoflow loop with a total of 90 ft of baseboard (around 50,000 btu) with an 007 circ. It heated fine once the air was out but I think the flow was low for the 1 1/4 main causing the venturi's not to pull real well.

That main could easily have been 1" almost could have been 3/4"
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    not this matters and I havent tried it, but one guy told me when he does a mono flow system he puts all tees at a 45 degree angle downward, then puts a st 45 in and goes whatever direction from there. Says then the air will naturally stay at the top of pipe and the separator will catch it. Air doesn't like going down.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @Tom_133

That sounds like it might work. Too bad to find out at this late date. Nobody puts monoflow in since the 40s-60s for the most part.

If I still had my house I would by a bunch of couplings and be spinning the mains around

On mine the tess were on a 45 with 45 deg street elbows in most of them