Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paid Plumber $$$$ to Freshen up hot water Boiler and Now It's Drawing in Water

Options
allthumbs
allthumbs Member Posts: 10
I figured that since my zone valves and pump were going on 20 years, I would have new zone valves, pump, expansion tank, air separator, and intake pressure regulator changed out. For those 20 years, I would keep the fresh water intake valve closed. Every few years I would check the pressure, and if a little low add some fresh water. My point is, the system was not leaking for all those years. I tried the same approach after the boiler update. Fresh water cutoff turned off. After just two months of this heating season, the pressure fell below 10 lbs fired up to 180F. Lots of air bubbling in pipes. I now have to leave the fresh water cutoff turned on. The plumber made life easier for himself by replacing the old zone cutoff valves, and the boiler drain valve with SharkBite valves. I'm wondering if these SharkBite valves may have a tendency to leak at the "bite" connection in hot water. There are no obvious leaks, but it's winter and the boiler heat will dry up small leaks. Will a leak, at this rate, severly shorten the life of the boiler by rust out?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Sounds like you are still venting air, which will drop the system pressure. If you don’t see a drip or leak...
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    Leave the feed on for a couple weeks to replace any air and any air dissolved in the water that gets removed then turn it off and see if it still loses pressure. Probably were better off with the old components than with sharkbites.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Came across this yesterday. Mobile home. Bad element.
    3 Shark bites in the pic and 2 more on the hot side just out of the pic. Gross.
    No valves anywhere. Only the main.
    SuperTech
  • jimna01
    jimna01 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Personally as a home owner if I hired a plumber who charged me $$$$ and he/she used shark-bites I would run them out of the house. A professional if using copper pipe should be sweating joints or use press-fit connections. At least anyone I would hire.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    Shark bites are fine for certain temporary piping situations. They are not fine for anything meant to be permanent. My bet is that a few of them are leaking. Not much.... but it doesn't take much. Remember that one drop every 20 seconds is a gallon a day.

Sloppy work.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    If I saw that I would just turn around and leave
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    Myth: “SharkBite fittings are only good for short term repairs and need to be replaced by permanent connections.”

Fact: SharkBite fittings are approved by the Uniform Plumbing Code and International Plumbing Code for permanent installation.

Quoted from the devil themselves. How much did they pay to get them approved by the code do you figure? Or maybe they are just as good as sweated fittings which we all know are not infallible even installed by master plumbers.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    And Gas Tite is approved for gas and it is basically tin foil.

Mega Press, ProPress , Copper Sweat are all approved for steam.

Galvanized pipe is approved for hot & cold water anyone want to install that?

Problem is they don't always work well or last long