Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bleeding a boiler well system

Options
Hello pros. I have recently purchased a cottage with a well and boiler heat system. I hear the pinging so know the system needs bleeding. Watched several YouTube videos and thought I was in good shape. Turn off furnace, close return, hook up hose, start draining. Only a bit of water comes out into my bucket. No fast fill since I'm on a well. How to I do this? I'm nervous that my system won't refill itself since I'm not on city water. There is a hose attachment below my pump. Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I see you are trying to bleed one of the zones . Normally you bleed out the air if you hear running water or no heat . To bleed that zone , close the valve below the hose and manual open the zone valve above with the lever on the zone valve .. . There should be a bell shape valve ,on 1/2". pipe called a pressure reducing valve . You want to make sure the valve before it is open .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Can you post a picture from farther back?
    What does the boiler gauge read?
    That flat plate heat exchanger looks like a "creative" hot water heater.
    Do you have pressurized domestic water from the heat exchanger?
    You should be nervous, the system should be full of water and under pressure.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    The fact that you are on a well doesn't affect the purging process. It does mean that you really need two expansion tanks, however, as it looks as though there is a heat exchanger for the hot water -- so you not only need the one to control the well, but one for the boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England