Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

totalhomesupply.com ===> is it trustworthy and any good?

Options
kiwi337
kiwi337 Member Posts: 1
This HVAC web based supply house is in New Jersey. Does anyone on the forum have any issues or recommendations Pro or Con? It has a BBB listing so is not a complete scam, but thought I better check before ordering anything (just small home project stuff)

Thanks Kiwi

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited December 2021
    Options
    BBB listing really means nothing. It means you paid to join. Just like Angie's List, or whatever they are calling it now after being sued.
    Doesn’t mean it’s good or bad. If their prices compare to supplyhouse.com, I’d probably stick with supplyhouse for online ordering.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

delta T
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    No personal experience by me, But I have had good results from Supplyhouse.com

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

JUGHNEZmanratiowoobagooba
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Another +1 for supplyhouse.com 👍
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    woobagooba
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    supplyhouse for me too
    woobagooba
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I like Supplyhouse.com You can call them and talk to someone, their lead times are accurate and returns are easy.
    Before I buy anything online, I make sure they have: a verifiable physical address and I call their phone number and see if people answer. There are so many websites out there that will take your order and then ghost you, I am reluctant to order with unfamiliar websites.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    STEVEusaPAwoobagooba
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Zman said:

I like Supplyhouse.com You can call them and talk to someone, their lead times are accurate and returns are easy.
    Before I buy anything online, I make sure they have: a verifiable physical address and I call their phone number and see if people answer. There are so many websites out there that will take your order and then ghost you, I am reluctant to order with unfamiliar websites.

Yeah I got burned a few times with small things, mostly fun, junk. Yeah if no US address, and no US phone number I won't buy it. If you go to 'About Us' or 'Contact Us' you can usually tell by the syntax they are not an American company, or have local distribution.

Zman
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Online Distributors that I have found reliable: Houseneeds.com-Ecomfort.com-Blueridge.com-Supplyhouse.com-Patriot-Supply.com-Zoro.com-Build.com-Amazon.com

I was recently looking for a Tekmar 671 which is in the thousand dollar range. One site had it advertised for fourty-eight bucks. I passed on that site. Check on many sites. the prices should be in a tight range. Outliers should be ignored. Check whether it is in stock or backordered, too. Call for stocking verification. Some sites don't update their site and it shows in stock only to find when ordered, you get an Email from them that the item is backordered.

Like Zman said, I like talking to someone on the phone. I hate Email contacts.

You can check rating sites to find other customers experiences.
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yes, BBB means they pay a few hundred bucks a year to be listed. My dog could be in BBB if she was richer. BBB is 'useful' to take and deflect customer complaints.

Google "totalhomesupply.com gripe" turns up nothing; adding "gripe" to a business name usually finds complaints.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/totalhomesupply.com shows they have been on the web since 2011, starting with a smaller selection including small appliances and handicap baths. 2015 they were growing. So they are not novices.

The physical address is a very high-rent part of North Jersey. Industrial park but very nicely landscaped. If they have been there since 2010 they must be doing good business. FWIW there are several TRANE facilities in the same industrial park, so it may be a HVAC hangout.

The posted back-story https://www.totalhomesupply.com/about-us is either brilliant fabrication or mostly-true. Nobody would waste writing talent on a plumbing store, so I say 99% true.

The line-card is long which says manufacturers have some confidence (but makers get a different view than customers).

Phrases like "for your home and business" and "Talk to an Expert" suggest they serve the homeowner and landlord markets, more than installers. I'm not seeing central heating furnaces; the only "boiler" is for steam-cleaning coils. They collect sales tax (unless contacted), they ship *free*, they have consumer-grade financing plans (Affirm and PayPal). Rather a DIY slant. EDIT: I found one Goodman gas furnace, "Currently Unavailable".

Maybe I move my mouse wrong, but THS's site is *constantly* drop-downing the menu-list, blocking my view.

BTW:

My one experience with ZORO.COM, 15 years ago, is that they drop-shipped from another source and tracking was terrible. I did get the goods but IMHO I can usually do better. They may have changed. It may depend what you need.

Amazon does not do much plumbing themselves. Anything can be bought through their Affiliates, and if an Affiliate screws-up a lot Amazon will drop them; but it is so easy to re-up under a different store-name that it is very hit-miss. I get vent squirrel-screens there.

Every deal I done with SupplyHouse (under several names) over 10 years has been fault-free. And they do have the Ugly Parts like manifolds and Dan's circulator-pumps.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    PRR said:

My one experience with ZORO.COM, 15 years ago, is that they drop-shipped from another source and tracking was terrible. I did get the goods but IMHO I can usually do better. They may have changed. It may depend what you need.

I ordered some things with free shipping, they shipped it motor freight because some of it was 10' threaded rod, didn't tell me they were shipping motor freight, I get a call from the terminal trying to schedule a delivery to my house. It must have cost them more than I paid for the order in shipping.
    PRR
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Zoro is, or was the online arm of Graingers. I've told the story before where I saw a pipe threader on Zoro, called my local Graingers and they said they couldn't match it. I ordered from Zoro, and it was shipped from my local Graingers...so go figure, right?

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    IDK about any on line suppliers other than Supply House.com.

Everything about it has been excellent.

I ordered pipe fittings for a 3 boiler project over the summer.
    In one shipment 1 of 6-7 boxes was missing.
    I called and they replaced it.

A small $20 item was broken.
    Called and new one shipped out at no charge.

Returned many fittings as I overordered because of my rural location.
    (I am about 5 days from getting things from them).
    They have UPS pick up at my shop with the shipping label as I have no UPS shipping point here.
    Return went smoothly, credit on my Visa. Some suppliers are terrible about returns,
    you almost would be ahead to throw the parts away....certainly not with them.

In the past a box broke open and a couple of fittings were missing.
    Those item sent out no charge....no hassle.

I am doing a tax exempt job, I have to call for each order to get the tax removed.
    Done right now...no hassle. Try that with some wholesalers....Sh!t show.

I have talked to many of the phone reps. In one conversation I was told that in order to work there you had to have at least a 4 year collage degree.
    And they go thru multiple interviews.
    Seldom do you get collage educated people handling plumbing & HVAC materials.
    Everyone I talked to has been more than helpful.

They have 3 supply houses now and my delivery time has went from 7 days to 3-4 days.

I couldn't be more satisfied. Great company!
  • lkstdl
    lkstdl Member Posts: 41
    Options
    I got this email the other day:

I am writing in reference to your recent SupplyHouse order. A portion of your order had been advertised as "Fast Track" but has been delayed by1-2 days[s]. We understand it is important to have your items arrive on time and are issuing a discount on this portion of your order as an apology for the delay.

Your credit will be issued within 24-48 hrs

This is for one item, out of a $5000 order. No other vendor comes close to that level of service. Most wouldn't even inform you of the delay.

Luke Stodola
    EdTheHeaterManSTEVEusaPA
  • jinbtown
    jinbtown Member Posts: 40
    Options
    another +1 for supply house. I text message with them anytime I need something changed around on an order. timely, fast shipping here to New England, good quality stuff. I piped a lot of my house with their bluefin line of Pex stuff and didn't have any issues. I like that they carry a lot of stainless fittings for less than the price of brass at Home Depot. I do miss Menards though, Home Depot and Lowe's are like walmart's compared to a proper Menards.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Their web site is very handy for estimating a job.
    Just load up materials in the cart, get a print out, have a bottom line of cost.
    Compare prices on major items with local supplier.
    Modify the cart as needed or just delete.
    Great tool for me.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    Options
    Ya, Supply house is hard to beat. I will ask for a price match and some times they will accommodate me. I have been buying from them when they were Pex Supply. Great customer service and that is really important.