Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old home, strange radiator?

Options
Inx
Inx Member Posts: 2
Steam boiler, radiator, what is this?

Hey everyone,
I’m still somewhat new to home ownership and my wife and I purchased a home thats about 100 years old. It has a steam boiler and radiators throughout the house.
This is located in our first floor bathroom…I think its a radiator, but its inside the wall. I have no idea exactly what it is or how to fix it if something comes up!
Does anybody have any idea what this is so that I can learn more about it? Bonus points if you can tell me how to even get to it lol

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Steam in wall radiator....prob a Burnham Sunrad.
    Door at the bottom comes off . There is a valve underneath. Not sure you will need to turn is off at all.
    Inx
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    The little silver widget on it is a radiator steam vent. Not totally convinced about how well it will work at that angle, but if the radiator is heating, don't try to fix it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Inx
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I want the bonus points... You crack out the tile around it and remove the bottom panel to get to the pipe connection! "Good Luck" @Jamie Hall has the best idea. Does it Get Hot? If it ain't broke ... dont fix it.

Edit: that's after you remove the toilet. LOL
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    InxIronman
  • Inx
    Inx Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everybody! It seems to work perfectly fine. I want to make sure I know everything I can about whats in my house and this definitely stumped me lol
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Here is a good book for you available on this site Store or Amazon

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Feel fortunate that the air vent is accessible.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    It is 3 sections of this style of radiator. May be from a different manufacturer:
    https://www.usboiler.net/product/radiant-baseboard-radiator.html
    EdTheHeaterMan