Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus GB142 HX leak - any idea how much time I have and what brand should I replace with

Options
dgkula
dgkula Member Posts: 59
Very nice, trustworthy & smart tech was at my house this morning to address an ignition issue that was fixed by replacing the ignitor. While in there he told me that he sees signs of a HX leak and asked when the unit was installed - I told him 2009. He shared with me that they seem to last 10 years give or take and with this visible corrosion I definitely have a HX leak which will prove fatal - only question is when not if. Pic below.

Two questions please:

1. this is the primary area of corrosion. It is near the ignitor. He explained that one terminal issue is when that leak gets large enough, it will create steam in the top of the combustion chamber and, as a result, the ignitor will not fire when covered with moisture from the steam. so it's not like one of the HX pipes will burst but at some point the unit will just stop igniting and replacing the ignitor wont help owing to the moisture/steam. Any idea from the pic below how long I have? He couldnt guess but said "maybe you get six months, maybe it goes next week." Anyone here have a professional opinion about how long I have?

2. assuming that a new boiler is in my future - what are the most trouble free brands out there that are easily maintainable by a homeowner. I like the fact that I can take the Buderus apart myself to clean, can replace parts if I have them on hand, the service manual is outstanding, etc. But with this boiler failing in 10 years it makes me think I should look at another Brand. Will they all fail in 10 years?

Comments

• dgkula
    Options
    Also if there is a pro on this board near Sudbury, MA that would be interested in this business (replacing the boiler) please reach out via PM. I havent spent a lot of time on this board but when I have come here a few times I have really needed help and have always been given great help and advice so looking to pay back if possible.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    Sudbury would be @New England SteamWorks or @Charlie from wmass . Both are busy, to put it mildly.

How long might a boiler leak go before it turned into a major problem? I'd be mightily surprised if any responsible person would venture a guess beyond what your tech. said.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    As far as brands or models, something with a fire tube HX.

However, the installer is 95% of the equation. The two that Jamie listed are top notch.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    that may be less urgent---hard to say. The vent above may have leaked down and caused some ugliness.Can you get your eyeball up there and see if that leak somehow got into this general area?

I work with Viessmann and Bosch, but like mentioned, you kinda wanna good heating guy and let the brand be secondary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Rich_49
  • GW
    Options
    "will they all fail in 10 years", that's a tough one. Buy a Viessmann CU3A.

If you like tinkering with the boiler, the Bosch is somewhat similar, sort of
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    Options
    Mod cons should last 15 years then with some brands parts become scarce.

As @GW said the vent looks very suspicious to me.
  • BoschGuy
    BoschGuy Member Posts: 5
    Options
    The HX has a limited lifetime warranty. Call 800-BUDERUS. They will give you credit towards a new Bosch Greenstar or Bosch Singular boiler.
    Sal Brunetto
    National Sales Manager
    Bosch Thermotechnology
  • dgkula
    Options
    Crud - the ignitor just failed again today. Looks like it was sheared off the base. There is visible moisture in the red circled area of the pic. I will give Buderus a call in the morning along with an installer or two :(
  • dgkula
    Options
    BoschGuy said:

The HX has a limited lifetime warranty. Call 800-BUDERUS. They will give you credit towards a new Bosch Greenstar or Bosch Singular boiler.

@BoschGuy Looks like the warranty is only provided to the original purchaser? Im the second person to own my home since the GB142 was installed in March 2009. Am I out of luck?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Sorry to say....yes.
  • dgkula
    Options
    @GW would you come out to Sudbury MA for an install? Between 495 and 95. If so please LMK
  • GW
    Options
    sorry, a little too far. Hope you can find someone soon.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • dgkula
    Options
    Hey guys - an update: @Charlie from wmass is here installing a lochinvar noble to replace the Buderus. Hopefully I'll need less support form the forum with the new boiler! Thx
    mattmia2Erin Holohan Haskell