Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can't turn radiator off

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new here and made an account for this specific issue I'm having. I live in New York City, and my apartment building is over 100 years old. So, the radiator is quite old, as well. It has a radiator cover that I was able to remove, but I just can't figure out how to turn it off. I'm attaching four pictures- the first is what is underneath the radiator, the second is a front facing view of the radiator without the cover on. In the second two, I have circled the devices that I've tried tinkering with (I tried turning clockwise with pliers, and then with my hands and oven mitts) and they just won't budge. Any and all help or advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    1 pipe steam system.  Even if you could close the valve, they usually don’t work from age.  Also on those types of systems the valves should be left open all the time.

Appears the handle has been removed to keep people from tinkering with it.  I would do that if I had a building to maintain, but my system would also be working properly so people weren’t being overheated.

The only way to really turn it off is to stop the venting.  The silver bullet looking device on the other side is the vent.  On normal radiators you can turn them upside down and they will be closed.  On that style you don’t have that option.

If you truly want it “off” all the time.  Put a blanket on top of the element, or something else to block the air flow, those primarily work through convection and stopping or slowing the air flow should dramatically reduce the heat output.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    Is the building owner aware you're working on that heater? If something breaks it can get real expensive repairing.

Too much heat just put a towel over it.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    If it were me I'd install a tee for a pressure gauge and a valve under that vent :)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If it were me I'd install a tee for a pressure gauge and a valve under that vent :)
    Haha. Yes in your own home that would be cool but it would be a roll of the dice with boiler cycles for the OP.  :p
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I'm talking about if I were renting. But the more conservative approach would be to put a heavy blanket over it as pecmsg mentioned
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    I'm talking about if I were renting. But the more conservative approach would be to put a heavy blanket over it as pecmsg mentioned
    Paul, not poking you in the eye, I could see that tee with gauge in your house. Mine too! Never too many controls or gauges. 
    ethicalpaul