Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to fix this leaky valve?

Options
Hi all, I live in an NYC coop and the previous owners removed a radiator and left just the closed radiator valve (see photo) in the floor. As the heat has been on more frequently, the valve has been leaking a small amount of steam and creating a whistling sound. The source of the leak is definitely that the rubber washer meant to close the valve is deteriorated.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the leak aside from either replacing or removing and capping the valve?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    Theoretically the best approach would be to replace the deteriorated washer. However, don't do it. Just don't. Why? Because Murphy is alive and well in your building, and about the same time you got the valve apart the boiler would come on, and uncontrolled live steam is just no fun at all.

Instead, if you can get a threaded cap to match that union thread, which may not be all that simple, you could put that on with some teflon tape. However, as I say, that's half of a union and I doubt that you will find a cap to match.

Try this (I know this will sound tacky, but it will work). cut a square piece of something stiff -- quarter inch plywood, maybe -- exactly as wide as the diameter of the outside of the threads. Put a piece of rubber on one face of it. Cut away enough of that misguided flooring so that the piece will fit squarely on the opening. Take a screw type hose clamp and wrap it around the back of the valve and your piece of whatever, and tighten it up.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BobC
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2021
    Options
    That valve is part of the building. As such notify the building of an unsafe condition, during the next scheduled shutdown it can be capped. 
    mattmia2Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have heard of the wood alone, without the rubber, would seal when it got wet and expanded.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    edited December 2021
    Options
    looks like the pipe took a nose dive when it was disconnected.

@sofimarshall If by chance you know where the old radiator is you could take the pipe stub off the radiator and put it back on the valve with a pipe cap

I would call maintenance it should be their problem.
    delcrossv
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    That open valve is a serious safety hazard and code violation and should be repaired promptly.

Bburd
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Maybe that's the steam room that was in the advertisement for the apartment.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    delcrossv