Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The know you have. Then you don't.

I have a few years old furnace they put a new vauld.  I had it fill 200 gallons and in 4 week it was gone. Funny thing we did not used it. Then the fixing was done. And we put 100 gallons and in a few days it was gone. Then we put 200 again. Heat the place one day. And it was gone. We don't have heat is like 30 in Pennsylvania. We have a old old tank. But in 11yrds we never experienced this . And question is. We're did the oil go. Did someone stole it. We never been thru this. Please help me am so confused.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Is this an outdoor oil tank?
    Or is this a propane tank?
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527

I have a few years old furnace they put a new vauld.  I had it fill 200 gallons and in 4 week it was gone. Funny thing we did not used it. Then the fixing was done. And we put 100 gallons and in a few days it was gone. Then we put 200 again. Heat the place one day. And it was gone. We don't have heat is like 30 in Pennsylvania. We have a old old tank. But in 11yrds we never experienced this . And question is. We're did the oil go. Did someone stole it. We never been thru this. Please help me am so confused.

If it is an oil tank, either someone is stealing your oil, or you have a huge leak and environmental disaster on your hands. If it is a propane tank, it sounds like most of the propane is going into the atmosphere.

I suggest calling your fuel company and explaining what is going on.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is this an underground oil tank?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    JUGHNE said:

Is this an underground oil tank?

I hope not!
    JUGHNEmattmia2Canucker
  • JUGHNE
    That would be real bad.

500 gallons would be obvious even above ground, certainly in the basement.

Is theft of heating oil a common problem?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    I wouldn't think theft would be a problem, but these days..

Suggestions: put some kind of lockbox on the fill pipe, and set up a game camera.

If it is an underground tank, you may have a very very serious problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    edited November 2021
    @ebautista961 we need to know of this is oil or propane to know which serious problem you have.

EDIT: they made a comment on another post that says it is oil.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    any reputable oil delivery company would be asking questions as to why so much is being used. 
    MikeAmann
  • JUGHNE
    "Should be asking questions......"

Yes, I realize this is oil, but more than one LP explosions could have been avoided by the delivery company not asking the same questions...fatalities were involved.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2021
    I really hope it is theft... How could that much oil even leak that quick? It'd have to be a catastrophic failure? 

is it below ground, any earthquakes? If its above ground did a dump truck run into it? o.O
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I went on a call once and they had no oil. I told the owner and they got a delivery while I waited. He said gee we shouldn't have used that much oil.

3 days later they were empty. 1000 gallon tank in a DPW building. This was years ago. We put 2 275s inside and they let the old tank there in the ground
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    No way the EPA let a company get away with that today? Where I work if a single drop of oil makes it to the storm drains or off the concrete parking lot its a really not fun phone call. We keep spill kits situated around the doors complete with pig mats, socks, magnetic drain covers, ppe and various other supplies. And our environmental coordinator keeps track of all of it. if a seal is broken on one of those kits it had better be a damn good reason and be reported with a quickness.
  • hale
    hale Member Posts: 1
    Robert_25 said:

If it is an oil tank, either someone is stealing your oil, or you have a huge leak and environmental disaster on your hands. If it is a propane tank, it sounds like most of the propane is going into the atmosphere.

I suggest calling your fuel company and explaining what is going on.
    can you set a camera or put a small lock system ?