Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

New Construction

smiller69
smiller69 Member Posts: 1
edited November 24 in Radiant Heating
What systems would you install in a new home construction?  I like the feel of under floor hot water radiant heat.  How can I add humidity in the winter?

I thought about using a forced air system without a heating coil with a humidifier and run it off a combination thermostat/humidistat and run the under floor radiant heat as well.  The forced air system would also supply the cooling. 

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 365
    I'd be careful adding humidity to a new tight house. Just about everything we do adds water to the air. From breathing, talking, bathing, cooking... In a house that is tight you might actually have to dehumidify the house on warmer winter days.
    SENWiEcokcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 10,209
    Radiant heat by all reports is the way to go. A forced air system with ac & a heat recovery ventilator to bring in fresh air and a humidifier would be the way to go
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 177
    edited November 24
    Be aware, a new house’s radiant floor won’t be very warm if the builder did a good job. A heat pump with or without a furnace backup lets you use the ducting for two functions.

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/185784/radiant-floors-hardly-ever-get-warm#latest
  • SENWiEco
    SENWiEco Member Posts: 137
    Have you considered radiant heating and cooling via hydronic ceiling panels? This is the way I went, and I can let you know in 6 months how it is working for both. But I am expecting great things and it will be very comfortable.
    Sean Wiens
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 8,924
    I have a pretty tight house and there is no way we would need a humidifier, even after 26 years.
    Maybe a bedside vaporizer if someone needs it now and then.

We are venting air out with bath exhaust fans on motion or timer switches, good range hood venting out, dryer going out.
    We have just static fresh air intake and crack windows in the bed rooms...even with no heat on in those rooms. (BTY, dog door gives you a lot of fresh air).

Our first 2 years we had to run the exhaust fans a lot, especially with company.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 17,007
    New construction? My primary heat would be semi-passive solar. Even in northern New England passive solar can provide 80% of your heat with an almost perfectly normal looking house -- and 100% with only slight tweaks. Done right you even wind up with nice warm floors. The additional cost over a well-built conventional build is perhaps 5%.

There simply is no good excuse for not at least looking into the idea.

I would emphasize that this does NOT involve photovoltaics, or collectors on the roof, or complex controls...

Nor is it a pipe-dream. My father-in-law and I collaborated on about a dozen such structures before he died.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcoppKC_JonesJUGHNELarry Weingarten
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 3,814
    edited November 24
    I would follow the "pretty Good House" standard and do cast iron baseboard or rads w/ a condensing boiler. Design to run at 130F at 0F
  • JUGHNE
    Have you started construction yet?
    Or still in the planning stage.
    I have a passive solar house and you would never know it.
    Can post pictures if you wish.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,300
    edited November 24
    That is like getting onto a car forum  and asking “what kind of car should I buy “
    If you have endless money, radiant floor heating everywhere and central AC for cooling.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
  • JUGHNE
    Well, we certainly did not have endless money.
    But we have radiant floors where it really matters, BB's in other areas, 2 AC systems with reversed connected returns (2 X 2 tons, 1 will do the job after cool down).
    But plain Jane Formica counter tops and appliances.

And also it helps to be into all the trades and have a patience wife. :)
    GWSENWiEco