Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Air Vents loud hissing

Options
AMMY
AMMY Member Posts: 19
I have a 100 year old house in NY that has a Burnham boiler and 6 radiators. All the rads hive a loud hiss when heating up. They all have Gordon air vents (#4,5, 6, or C). It has a 
Honeywell PA404A1033 pressuretrol, but it never trips and the pressure gauge doesn't move. 
Could the hissing be due to high pressure in the boiler moving the air too fast? 

New to boilers so any help is appreciated. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,359
    Options
    Could well be too high a pressure -- hissing vents often do that. Which, in turn, may indicate that the little pipe from the boiler to the pressuretrol is plugged. That often happens. What is the pressuretrol set at?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Do you know if you have good main vents in the basement? They are on the steam mains, often but not always near the boiler. Main vents are important and if they are absent or not working then their job ends up in the radiator vents, which are not big enough or intended to vent the mains.
    wlganncross_skier
  • AMMY
    Options
    The pressuretrol is set at 1.5psi. Differential is at 1 and then 0.5psi on the the front display. The pigtail is less than a year old as it was replaced with a brass one last winter. 

I am not sure if there are main vents as the basement was finished by the previous owners. There is a section of the basement ceiling with tin ceiling tiles so I'll take a look under that area to see if there are main vents.

Thanks!

• wlgann
    wlgann Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Main venting is a legit concern. But before you tear out your ceiling:
    1. Make sure that each radiator has a small slope toward the valve end. One eighth inch per foot of slope is enough. Because if condensate backs up in the bottom of the radiator it can get blown up toward the vent by the incoming steam.
    2. Try switching for smaller vents on the radiators. Try one size down, or even two sizes if you have a room that's overheated. Since you seem to have a variety you can maybe swap a couple and see if you can get a smaller valve on at least one radiator, and if that one quiets down you know what to do. Condensate dripping down from the radiator needs to bypass the incoming steam in the same pipe. A smaller vent on the radiator will slow down the incoming steam and keep it from blowing the condensate back up into the radiator.
    3. Last, hardest-to-fix yet least likely potential trouble spot is any horizontal run of pipe between the main and the radiator. If that's not sloped correctly (say, due to the building having settled), then condensate will back up in that pipe and get blown back up into the radiator.
  • AMMY
    Options
    Wlgann,

All rads a pitched. No condensate coming from the air vents.
    However, your suggestion on the air vent number is worth the try. The rads upstairs all have Gorton No C (12 section and 22 section). Rads on 1st flour are 4 and 5 ( both 22 section rads). 

Should I try a better air vent instead Gordon's? Any suggestions on which one?
  • wlgann
    wlgann Member Posts: 14
    Options
    AMMY said:

The rads upstairs all have Gorton No C (12 section and 22 section). Rads on 1st flour are 4 and 5 ( both 22 section rads). 

Should I try a better air vent instead Gordon's? Any suggestions on which one?

Interesting the C-size is on both a little and large radiator. And they both hiss like crazy? I would've expected a #5 or even a #6 on the 12 section radiator unless it's 6 feet tall or at the end of 90 feet of pipe.

I like the Gorton vents just fine and have several in my house. If you needed to replace any of them I would replace with Maid o' Mist because they come with a half dozen different apertures that you can screw onto the vent by hand, for only a few bucks more than the single-size Gortons.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    AMMY said:

Honeywell PA404A1033 pressuretrol, but it never trips and the pressure gauge doesn't move.

I know you said new brass last year,
    it could still be not working / clogged somewhere there,
    can we see pictures of the pigtail and Ptrol, where they're connected,
    and the gage also,
    can you easily blow thru the pigtail back into the boiler?
    known to beat dead horses
  • AMMY
    Options
    So today I tested the pressuretrol by manually triggering it and it did shut down the boiler. So, I know it's working. Next, I removed the pressuretrol and pigtail and the pigtail was clear. 
    Still need to check if I have any vents on the main. Also, whether my air vents on the rads are the correct size. Two of the largest rads (22 sections each) are on the first floor and the affect the thermostat. They may have vents that are too large.
    Still trying to figure this out.

Thanks for all the advice!

• neilc
    Options
    at the risk of beating dead horses,
    did you remove the pigtail and blow thru it, or did you blow thru the pigtail as it is mounted on the boiler?
    cuz the 90, and that port into the boiler could be jambed also,
    too high pressure can cause vents to cry, wet steam also,

that boiler is not piped to spec, and is sending wetter than need be steam up and about,
    do you have your manual?
    was the boiler installed prior to you buying the house? or can you get your installer back?

consider mounting a low pressure gage, 0-3, 0-5, 0-15, what ever, with the Ptrol,
    those 0-30s can be inaccurate, hard to read, and subject to failure or plugging themselves mounted down there,
    AMMY
  • AMMY
    Options
    I took the pigtail completely off and blew through it. The 90 was clear, but I didn't take it of to check the horizontal it's attached to so that could be clogged.
    I bought the house in February of this year and the boiler was already here. I had a winter maintenance done by a reputable plumbing company but there was no mention of it being installed incorrectly. What in the image tells you it is not to spec and sending wet steam? I'm asking for knowledge, not a challenge. I'm more familiar with forced air furnace. Boilers are new for me.

Where can I find a 0-3 or 0-5 guage. All I ever see is 0-30 or 0-20?
    I believe the manual as is still taped to the side of the boiler. What should I look for in the manual?

Thanks 

• neilc
    edited November 2021
    Options
    check the small hole inside the female thread to the Ptrol also, it's not likely, but a could be,

if you have your manual there will be a page or 2 showing the near boiler piping,
    full size up and out as your's is, but then 90 horizontal with swing joint(s), as that smaller pipe does, but still full size or larger(manual spec), and then 90 down where that low pipe returns the the boiler(your equalizer),
    the horizontal stretch is referred to as the Header,
    the 2 house mains get piped down the the header,
    if there are 2 or more risers from the boiler, pipe sequence across the header would be,
    boiler riser(s), then the system main(s), then the equalizer,

it's in that manual,
    post a pic of the other side where the return joins back to the boiler,
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,359
    Options
    The main thing wrong with your boiler's piping is that the riser -- the vertical pipe coming out of the boiler -- goes right on straight up and attaches to one of the steam mains in the house. This means that any water droplets carried out with the rising steam will also keep right on going up and get into that steam main. How much of a problem is this? If the system were completely quiet and no hissing or spitting vents, I'd say it was just an example of how forgiving steam is of incorrect installation. In your case, it may well be part of your hissing problem. Is it worth fixing? Hmm... probably not, but...

What should happen is that the pipe would come straight up for about two feet, and then turn horizontal -- the same size or, ideally, one size larger to a pipe called the header. It would then go horizontally (well, actually with a slight downward slope away from the riser) over to the pipe which goes down in back of the boiler, called the equalizer. The two steam mains which I see would come down to that header and be tapped independently off the top of the header. What happens in that arrangement is that those water droplets would get into the header, but tend to fall towards the bottom of it and be carried over to the equalizer and go back to the boiler, while much cleaner steam would go out the two steam main connections.

0 to 3 or 0 to 5 psi gauges can be found on Amazon. Not aerospace quality, but plenty good for what we do.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    cross_skier
  • AMMY
    Options
    New York City...
    Thanks for all the help and knowledge. I've got to get this figured out. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @AMMY

@JohnNY is you guy you can pm him
    JohnNY
  • AMMY
    Options
    Ok. I'll give him a shout.

I'm sure the forum will here from me again.

Thanks!
  • AMMY
    Options
    A quick update. Looked under the tiles of the hanging ceiling and on that side there are no vents on the main. As stated the other side of the basement is finished with drywall so the mains are not accessible but I doubt there are vents.

Added a T connection with a low pressure gauge to the pigtail. And the pressure runs very low according to this gauge (assuming I did it right). 

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options
    That looks good. Does it stay at that level or near it for even a long run from a setback of a few degrees? if so you look to be in real good shape (except for the way the boiler is piped, but you might be real lucky otherwise that it's the right size)

Just for fun make it come back from like a 10 degree setback and see if it cuts out at any point.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • AMMY
    Options
    Ethicalpaul,

This morning I did what you recommended (regarding the setback by ten degrees) and the pressuretrol triggered to shut down the boiler  at about 1.6 psi (I took the pic as the needle was dropping) after approximately 35 minutes of running. 
    So, this issue is probably due to a lack of venting on the main lines and/or piping at boiler?

• ethicalpaul
    Options
    That was a good test of your pressuretrol safely limiting your system pressure, so that’s good.

I think it’s safe to say that your boiler is oversized somewhat. It’s not the end of the world. 

Main venting may help but the system might still build pressure at times. But good main venting is good.

Did you note how long it took to recover the 10 degrees? And how often it was cycling? That info will give an idea of how oversized (as will measuring the radiation)

but if the system maintains a set point throughout the day without cycling much you’re just fine. Setbacks of 10 or even 5 degrees make lots of systems cycle on pressure.
  • AMMY
    Options
    I didn't keep timing after the boiler shut down.
    I usually keep the house temp at around 74F. Under this temp, the house reach temperature well before the pressure is high enough to activate the pressuretrol and the thermostat shuts it down. 

I'll have to get a quote to see if it's worth the re-piping at the boiler and cost to add some vents on the main.

Thanks for all the help and "lessons."

ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    edited December 2021
    Options
    My pleasure. Looking at your original problem, are your vents still hissing now that you have the pressure reasonable?

In my experience, operational MoM and Gorton vents are pretty quiet below 2psi, except you might hear one of them intaking air after the firing cycle completes.

Your description of the system's operation sounds pretty good, I think you are there. if you are maintaining your thermostat without pressure cycling you are in very good shape.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Have the vents stopped hissing? Couldn’t really tell from the thread above. If they have and the boiler pressure stays low through the heating cycle, and the living space is heated to your liking, then like @ethicalpaul said I think you are there and I’d see how it goes through the heating season. Steam boilers lots of times operate quire nicely even if the piping is not perfect and/or main vents are missing or too small. But that said main vents on all the mains almost always help. And make sure the steam mains are insulated.
  • AMMY
    Options
    Vents are still hissing. Especially on vents on the long mains that run to the from of the house hiss the loudest (very loud) until all the air is pushed out they they close.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    I think adding main vents to the steam mains will help and make sure the steam mains are insulated.
    ethicalpaul
  • AMMY
    Options
    Just an update on this issue.
    Had a plumber I used before come check put the hissing. 

He felt the piping was fine and not the issue. He said the inside was very dirty and the boiler was surging because it was never skimmed. He cleaned it out with some chemicals and added Caleffi automatic air vents to the loudest radiators.
     He also felt the boiler was too small for the house (Burnham IN-5, house is approx 1900 sqft) and should size up in 5 or so years. He did not think vents on the mains were needed. However, I do not think this fixed the actual issue because if I put Gordon's back on the radiators the hissing comes back.

Again, just an update.
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    If he didn't measure all of your radiators before saying that he thinks the boiler is too small for the house, don't let him come back.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    AMMY said:

Just an update on this issue.
    Had a plumber I used before come check put the hissing. 

He felt the piping was fine and not the issue. He said the inside was very dirty and the boiler was surging because it was never skimmed. He cleaned it out with some chemicals and added Caleffi automatic air vents to the loudest radiators.
     He also felt the boiler was too small for the house (Burnham IN-5, house is approx 1900 sqft) and should size up in 5 or so years. He did not think vents on the mains were needed. However, I do not think this fixed the actual issue because if I put Gordon's back on the radiators the hissing comes back.

Again, just an update.

Can you post a picture of the vents he installed? To my knowledge Caleffi doesn't make a steam vent.

You always need vents on the mains.

No way can you size a boiler by eye.

Your entire post is red flags.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaulNHOwner
  • AMMY
    Options
    Ethical Paul,

I think you're right. 

KC, here's a pic of the vents. He said they were for steam or hot water. 
    Either way, I am convinced there needs to be a vent on the main as the two large radiators on the first floor are moving a lot of air (with Gordon's).

I need to find a plumber that'll do it with a finished basement ceiling. This will require cutting through sheet rock and maybe adding a vent grill so that maim vent is always accessible. Right now my main lines are all under sheet rock or tin hanging ceiling.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    Options
    That hydroscopic air vent is for hot water systems.
    There is an insert that seals the vent opening when wet.
    As it dries out then the vent opens until it is hit by water.
    It would be interesting how it works with steam....or not.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    That definitely isn’t a steam vent.  It’s quiet because it’s not doing anything.  That person hasn’t a clue what they are doing and most likely can’t help you.

Where are you located?  We may know someone in your area that knows steam.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • AMMY
    Options
    KC_Jones,

I'm in Brooklyn, NY. Here there are plumbers everywhere. All with their own way of doing things.

Thanks

CLamb
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    AMMY said:

KC_Jones,

I'm in Brooklyn, NY. Here there are plumbers everywhere. All with their own way of doing things.

Thanks

You don't need a plumber, you need a steam heating expert.

They have their own way, is a polite way of saying many of them have chosen to not be educated on their craft.

@JohnNY might be able to help you out. I know he works NY, just not sure if it's all areas.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ethicalpaulChrisJ
  • AMMY
    Options
    Just an update on this situation.

First, as you all suggested, my near boiler piping in wrong. 

Secong, I disconnected my M&M auto water feeder to make sure I wasn't losing water from the system. I ran the boiler for 30 minutes and then shut off.  I checked the water level after 1.5 hour and compared it  to water level at cold start, the water level was approx the same. Also, the hissing in the two worst radiators has reduced considerably. 

It seems the water levels were getting too high in the boiler and causing issues. The auto feeder would kick in when the sight glass was about 20% full even when the boiler was still really hot and had steam in the radiators. The the return water comes back and the boiler water level is too high.
    When it would start heating again there was wet steam hissing through the radiators on the 1st floor. 

Still trying to get this system together but thanks for all the advice.