Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Simple low pressure steam gauge?

Options
I have been using my UEI manometer EM151 as a substitute steam pressure meter when i'm setting up some boilers but i'm still looking for an analog or digital gauge that can operate reasonably well in those low ranges as a standing indicator. i've been installing tall dead end risers commando with valve and hose adapater to attach the UEI. i could use the control or additional pigtail to somewhat isolate gauges from the highest temps if required.

The problem is that the most commonly available low pressure gauge range is 15 psi. I could literally use a 2 lbs gauge. winters has a PLP series that goes that low although there isn't any stocking I can find in the larger dial sizes. And the maximum operating pressure is 30% over the scale so there is some risk of damaging the gauge in unusual circumstances where pressure is well within system but not gauge tolerances. I generally don't set up a system to reach those pressures so it isn't highest on my gripe list but I do wonder if there are analog or digital gauges anyone has found that can sustain larger departures from range.

thanks,

brian
ChrisJ

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Take a look at what Dwyer has. They have a lot of analog and digital gauges. Some rated for air only, some rated for various liquids and other gases.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Or put a small ball valve under the gauge and just slowly open for observation and then close.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options

I have been using my UEI manometer EM151 as a substitute steam pressure meter when i'm setting up some boilers but i'm still looking for an analog or digital gauge that can operate reasonably well in those low ranges as a standing indicator. i've been installing tall dead end risers commando with valve and hose adapater to attach the UEI. i could use the control or additional pigtail to somewhat isolate gauges from the highest temps if required.

The problem is that the most commonly available low pressure gauge range is 15 psi. I could literally use a 2 lbs gauge. winters has a PLP series that goes that low although there isn't any stocking I can find in the larger dial sizes. And the maximum operating pressure is 30% over the scale so there is some risk of damaging the gauge in unusual circumstances where pressure is well within system but not gauge tolerances. I generally don't set up a system to reach those pressures so it isn't highest on my gripe list but I do wonder if there are analog or digital gauges anyone has found that can sustain larger departures from range.

thanks,

brian

Why not a Dwyer Magnehelic?
    They can handle something like 20 PSI without damage even though the scale may be setup for 1 or 2" WC.
    A 16" Magnehelic may be perfect. Even the 2" one on my boiler has been pegged a few times during tests, it doesn't hurt it at all.

Magnehelics aren't bourdon tube gauges and the motion of it's diaphragm is limited mechanically.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulmattmia2
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    Options
    thanks

@junghe always use isolation valve anyway and the point about practice of closing the valve regularly and only opening under circumstances of general knowledge the system pressure is below maximum pressure range could combine well with kodiak gauges recommended by @ChrisJ. Kodiak doesn't list a maximum pressure although given cost and apparent similarity to others in the class my suspicion is the maximum pressure is not much more than the gauge range.

@Jamie Hall i like the magnehelic gauges and in this application the premium seems worth it. thanks.

brian
  • mygardenshed
    mygardenshed Member Posts: 51
    Options
    I have that one as well. Notice there are 18 marks between 0psi and 1psi.