Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you drain a floor standing expansion tank? AMTROL Extrol model SX30V.

Options
vynce82
vynce82 Member Posts: 1
How do you drain a floor standing expansion tank? I have AMTROL Extrol model SX30V. I just got one installed by plumber but system pressure is high - leaking to hold at 30psi.

It is a floor standing model with copper pipping going straight up to valve near ceiling height. I can isolate with the valve but how do I drain it to test the pre-charge pressure?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    There is no way to drain it. Close the isolation valve and if there is a union between the tank and the valve loosen it (there will be some pressure). No union you will have to cut the pipe and when you put is back together put in a tee with a boiler drain on it and a union in the pipe. There are no drains on those tanks as far as I know
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    There should have been a drain installed during the installation. 
    Did it change from a steel compression tank to the diagram tank? If so, is there now a means of automatic air elimination?
    If cold pressure was set to 12 psi, what happened to make the pressure rise?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    HVACNUT said:

There should have been a drain installed during the installation. 
    Did it change from a steel compression tank to the diagram tank? If so, is there now a means of automatic air elimination?
    If cold pressure was set to 12 psi, what happened to make the pressure rise?

It's that last question I'm wondering about. Expansion tanks don't add pressure, they just control it. How did the system pressure get that high? Bad pressure reducing/automatic feed valve? Leaking manual fill?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,705
    Options
    Does it have a tankless coil or indirect water heater to make domestic hot water?