Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basic Baseray question

Options
delcrossv
delcrossv Member Posts: 742
In doing a hot water loop off a cast iron steam boiler (no heat exchanger) pushing cast iron Baseray convectors, shouldn't I be doing the piping in black iron? Wouldn't I get a dissimilar metals problem with copper piping in this application?

Thanks!
Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.

Comments

• offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    You can use a brass/bronze coupling, ball valve, etc to make the transition from black iron to copper pipe. If you are making a hot water baseboard loop off of the steam boiler I would suggest having a few isolation valves. This gives you the ability to isolate the two systems and makes a service work easier. A wye strainer from the boiler to hot water loop would also help in keeping large particles out of the baseboard. Sure it may cost a bit more upfront, but save in labor down the road. 
    delcrossv
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,870
    Options
    Please concentrate on the Piping and Pumping recommendations. It can be easily screwed up.
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    Options
    @offdutytech Thanks, but there's nothing wrong with doing it all in black, yes? Thanks for the strainer idea!
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    delcrossv said:

@offdutytech Thanks, but there's nothing wrong with doing it all in black, yes? Thanks for the strainer idea!

Nothing at all. I'd probably do it that way -- but I don't mind threading pipe.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delcrossv
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    You can certainly do it in black iron. Copper my have a bit more longevity and be easier to do if you don't have a pipe threader. Just make sure that you plan the project out and draw it before you start. It would save you some headaches as well
    delcrossv
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    I would use copper. Especially if going above the boiler water line with no hx. Better chance of no leaks but either one is fine. You have to use a bronze pump though
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    edited November 2021
    Options

I would use copper. Especially if going above the boiler water line with no hx. Better chance of no leaks but either one is fine. You have to use a bronze pump though

All below the waterline (basement loop). Thinking a B&G 100- I've had good luck with those. They do make a bronze version .