Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating solution for bathroom

Options
We moved into an old house that doesn’t have any heating in a main floor bathroom.  The rest of the house is forced air and electric in floor heating in another bathroom.   

There is ductwork in the basement ceiiing that bends about 6 -8 feet from under the unheated bathroom - can I split off from it and put in a floor grate (it would require some elbows to go around existing conduit and joists ?  Or would it be better to go with in floor electric heating (more work to take up tiles etc?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,376
    Options
    The duct idea will probably work, but be sure to include a damper if it proves to be too much.

And far less obvious -- be sure to either put a grille in the door or cut a couple of inches off the bottom, so that the air will have a way to return.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    You might look into electric towel warmers.
    Not really to heat the room but just take the chill off when you are wet and bare.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    A short piece of electric baseboard will do the trick as well if the ductwork won't work. You may like the idea of separate control in the bathroom as bathrooms tend to be cold. You can use a wall mounted thermostat or they make stats that mount on the baseboard
    MikeAmann
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
    edited November 2021
    Options
    A short piece of electric baseboard will do the trick as well if the ductwork won't work. You may like the idea of separate control in the bathroom as bathrooms tend to be cold. You can use a wall mounted thermostat or they make stats that mount on the baseboard
    I have a some what funny story about a short piece of electric baseboard in a bathroom. Or disgusting depending on how you want to loo... ahmm smell it.

So my downstairs half bath was an addition on the back of what used to be the back porch. Their solution to heat that small room was electric baseboard right next to the toilet. First winter I lived here I turned it on one day when it was chilly and not but 20 minutes later I had every single window in the house open, in the middle of January, trying to get the smell of 40 years of old man urine out. Apparently the previous owner wasn't of the greatest aim...

That baseboard heater was scrapped later that spring. I ended up moving one of the old small ci rads in to the bathroom when I remodeled the kitchen and breakfast nook.
    MikeAmann
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    just don't pee on the radiator i guess
    mattmia2
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    just don't pee on the radiator i guess
    I agree, but try telling other people that.
    northernsoul
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,277
    Options
    I like those timed ceiling fixtures. Make me feel less chilly.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Wall mounted electric cove heaters go up near the ceiling and the wall stat can be right below it.
    Radiant heater that provides pretty good comfort.
    If you go that route I would put in one as long as practical.

It is up out of over spray area....one hopes!
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    if there is a cabinet (say with drawers next to the sink) you could use an electric kick-space heater with a wall mounted thermostat.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,705
    Options
    I'd say electric radiant panel or baseboard or radiator of some sort over the calrod type finned baseboard both for the less surfaces to collect things and because the radiant heat will make it feel warmer.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    What size is the room?  I like the heated towel bar idea also. They come in many sizes and outputs. Then you have individual control of that room. Programmable and setback controls are a nice option also in the towel bars 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • northernsoul
    northernsoul Member Posts: 134
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    What size is the room?  I like the heated towel bar idea also. They come in many sizes and outputs. Then you have individual control of that room. Programmable and setback controls are a nice option also in the towel bars 
    It’s about 7x3.5 feet with a 10 foot ceiling and the window is most of one wall with old single pane glass.  
  • northernsoul
    northernsoul Member Posts: 134
    Options
    I originally liked the idea of infloor electric heating but it’s a big job to take out tile and baseboards to  install and then retile and put threshold transition strip for height difference to hallway flooring