Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heat Short Cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,384
    Options
    Schenectady is a difficult area to find competent people in. @SteamingatMohawk is in Kingston, I think -- but that's a pretty good distance. I don't think @Charlie from wmass goes that far west -- he might.

But if you could find a reasonably competent person as suggested above, we can probably walk him through it...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • AshlynDL
    AshlynDL Member Posts: 32
    Options
    You guys are so nice and the kindest people! I will keep you posted on today’s progress! Fingers crossed. I am relaying ALL of your recommendations. 
  • AshlynDL
    Options
    So today, the prof bypassed the thermostat at the boiler and at the thermostat itself. No short cycling. Prof used something to test what controls (or switches? I’m not sure which term is correct) remained open or closed. I am attaching an image that looks similar to the device used. My apologies if I am not relaying this completely accurately, I tried my best to take notes. The only thing that tested “wrong” or faulty (I think he said remained open?) was the stat. All controls on the boiler tested fine. Rewired and replaced stat and programmed (again) for steam. Added some insulation behind the stat because of a slight draft and heating pipe in wall in relative proximity. Also secured some connections on the boiler. Now we are waiting for it to auto kick on and see if it runs for more than 4 or 5 mins. 
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    sounds like you found someone with a clue. A steam pipe in a wall and a draft in the wall could raise havoc with the thermostat
    AshlynDL
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    40+ years ago I was living in a first floor apartment of a 2 family house and the temperature swing had to be 5-6 degrees. It was a 1930 steam system for that apartment that heated just fine except for that swing.

One day I was working in back of the console TV and noticed the wall was warm, a little sleuthing showed there was a steam pipe running up that wall. Every time there heat came on mine went off. I moved that thermostat around the corner and all was well.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    AshlynDL
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    This woman has been posting this story across multiple forums and refuses to actually take any steps to help herself. She had the thermostat changed 4 times? WTH are you talking about? I suggest you all disengage. I'm also wondering if that's not a hot water boiler repurposed for steam. Look at the LWCO location and I don't know of a steam boiler with the flue on top like that. Most if not all have a flue collector out the back.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • AshlynDL
    edited November 2021
    Options
    JohnNY, everyone has been so helpful and kind. I’m sorry you felt the need to be rude and condescending. I have indeed taken (multiple) steps to help my family by posting on forums such as this and seeking (and hiring) the expertise and work of multiple professionals in my area. I hope you find it within yourself to increase your allowance and tolerance for those who may know less than you. Everyone else, THANK YOU for your kindness, care, concern and willingness to assist and lend a helping hand. May it be repaid to you tenfold. Blessings. 
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    there are other forums ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    AshlynDL said:

JohnNY, everyone has been so helpful and kind. I’m sorry you felt the need to be rude and condescending. I have indeed taken (multiple) steps to help my family by posting on forums such as this and seeking (and hiring) the expertise and work of multiple professionals in my area. I hope you find it within yourself to increase your allowance and tolerance for those who may know less than you. Everyone else, THANK YOU for your kindness, care, concern and willingness to assist and lend a helping hand. May it be repaid to you tenfold. Blessings. 

Deserved.

Good luck and carry on with good results.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes