Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell VisionPro TH8321R1001 Stat Question

Options
tribemaster
tribemaster Member Posts: 8

Here's a current pic of the wiring on my stat. It now recognizes the outdoor sensor and the aux heat kicks in at 39 degrees. I came home yesterday and the stat was set to 68 but the temp on the stat read 66. I have to raise the temp up to 72 or 73 for the heat pump to kick on -- kind of a head scratcher. Should I install a more robust jumper between RC and R? Any suggestions?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Is the outdoor sensor reading reasonable? What is it? Is this a dual-fuel setup (HP over a gas furnace) or straight HP, or HP with electric heat strips?
    tribemaster
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    A more robust jumper? It's not a hose which flows more if it's bigger. You're fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tribemaster
  • tribemaster
    Options
    The outdoor sensor is within a degree or so -- not sure of the brand. I have a HP with LP gas furnace.
  • tribemaster
    Options
    There is a jumper between RC and R. HP doesn't run if I place the red wire in R -- so I installed it in RC.
  • ratio
    Options
    Has it ever worked right? As long as the jumper's in place, it shouldn't matter which terminal the red wire goes to.

There are a number of set points that have to do with changeover from HP to furnace. Have you checked them?

• tribemaster
    Options
    The only set point I noticed was the switch over once the outside temp drops below 40 degrees. Are there others I should look at?
  • ratio
    Options
    I found a comprehensive manual for the 8000 series, attached. Go through the heat pump section on page 78 & check your settings.

Is this a new thing that it didn't do before?

• tribemaster
    Options
    It was happening with the A/C over the summer. I had a new HVAC system installed in Feb 2020 and have had issues with the 3 previous stats that were installed. My HVAC guy was suppose to install the 4th stat last month and ghosted me (he gave me a 3-year labor warranty BTW - which means nothing if it isn't honored), so I'm muddling thru these issues on my own. I do appreciate all the assistance and will make these changes tonite when I get home. Just want to check one more thing -- I have a HP w/gas furnace backup -- so should have 1 cooling stage and 2 heating stages -- is this correct? Thanks again -- this forum has been awesome!!!
  • ratio
    Options
    One HP stage (compressor) & one aux/backup stage (propane furnace). It's important to tell the stat it's a dual-fuel setup, you don't want the furnace to come on during HP operation, defrost or otherwise.

I've got a similar setup I'm responsible for (HP over gas furnace), I'll double check the settings after work today & tell you what they're set at. I'm pretty sure it handles changeover (HP<->furnace) correctly, but I'm not there all the time.

• tribemaster
    Options
    I did program the stat for dual-fuel. Thanks for your help!
  • tribemaster
    Options
    It's 1 stage cooling & 1 stage heat. Made the change you suggested -- working well so far!
  • ratio
    Options
    Great. Does it try to heat with the HP (when conditions are acceptable)?
  • tribemaster
    Options
    Yes it does and switches to Aux Heat when temp drops below 40. Thanks again for the assistance!