Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The boiler

Options
maroo
maroo Member Posts: 30
edited November 2021 in Gas Heating

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    What was written on the tag ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Steam or hot water?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It sounds like you are in a multifamily building and are out of the loop on the issues with the boiler?
    If you are a member of a homeowners association, if so, the information should be a public record through the manager or meeting minutes.
    If you are renting, you might have to dig deeper. Some regions publish inspection results on state or regional boiler inspectors' website, occasionally you need to submit a freedom of information request.

A red tag may be good news for you. Safety issues have been officially documented and the owner would be breaking the law to run the boiler without remedying the problem.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    If it was done by the city, many cities have their permit and inspection documentation on line by address.
    Zman
  • maroo
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:
    I’m not sure. It’s in the basement and I don’t want to go down there tonight but I will go look in the morning and let you know. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Could have been a gas leak and they shut the gas off. Could be a combustion issue, carbon monoxide or it could be leaking rotten boiler.

If I were you I would get in the basement when no one is around (if you can do it legally) and take pictures of the boiler, the tag and surrounding piping.

Either a red tag means they have to fix it or replace it a they have to provide heat.

The owner should have dealt with this back in the summer
    maroo
  • maroo
    Options
    Zman said:
    It sounds like you are in a multifamily building and are out of the loop on the issues with the boiler? If you are a member of a homeowners association, if so, the information should be a public record through the manager or meeting minutes. If you are renting, you might have to dig deeper. Some regions publish inspection results on state or regional boiler inspectors' website, occasionally you need to submit a freedom of information request. A red tag may be good news for you. Safety issues have been officially documented and the owner would be breaking the law to run the boiler without remedying the problem.
    Yes it’s a multi family. I am afraid of who they will send to repair it because the maintenance here hasn’t done it correctly and that’s how it ended up being tagged. The last maintenance man told me about two months before when it was making weird noise that it was a pipe he said the pipe that had been on it was too small so he said he replaced it but again it still wasn’t right. I’m afraid because these people don’t know what they are doing. 
    MikeG
  • maroo
    Options
    Steam or hot water?
    I don’t know. I think it’s hot water 
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    maroo said:

Big Ed_4 said:

I’m not sure. It’s in the basement and I don’t want to go down there tonight but I will go look in the morning and let you know. 

Take tons of pictures of everything from as wide an angle as you can.
    Looking at your previous posts, you seem to have safety concerns. Let us take a look at what you have.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    maroo