Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator HELP

Options
So to preface this, I know NOTHING about radiators. I was raised in a climate where heating wasn’t a necessity even in the winter. Recently moved to the east coast and bought a home with forced natural gas that uses radiators. The home was built in 1925 and my realtor assumes the radiators are original or date pretty far back. I have no clue how to turn them on/ see if they’re even able to be turned on. The previous owner moved to Alaska and changed their contact info (I’m not joking, sounds ridiculous I know) so I’m kind of stiffed on info about this. Researching the net, i was able to find basic turn on is counter clockwise but still no heat. I even “bled” the shorter one to see if that made a difference. The brands are American Radiator but I cannot find anymore information past that. I have 5 more throughout my house but included are pictures of the two downstairs (the taller model seems to have a lock on the knob not allowing be to spin past half an inch clock wise and a stopper to counter clockwise) I’ve been attempting to tinker on. I don’t know if it matters but boiler is on along with the gas (we get hot water throughout the house no problem) Taller one is 38in high and 40 wide Shorter is 25in heigh and 50 wide (general estimate) Any help is better than nothing! Thank you so much!

Comments

• katianaheller
    katianaheller Member Posts: 2
    Options
    First three pictures are of the shorter model and the last two are of the taller model 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    @katianaheller

You certainly do need some help. First thing is check "Find a contractor" on this site" Second, post where you are located, if there are no listed contractors in your area someone may have a recommendation.

If that strikes out you may have to search for a contractor in your area. Your realtor may know someone but try here first

In any event feel free to return and post some pictures of your boiler (it's not a furnace if you have radiators) form different angles and stand back so we can see.

a couple of radiator pictures will also help
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited November 2021
    Options
    In your second picture, the small chrome valve on the top left is for bleeding air. It takes a radiator key which you can get at a hardware store.
     It’s likely that the radiators need the air bled out. 
    Once you have the key, open the valve about half a turn with a rag underneath the spout until only water comes out. Be careful, the water will be black and stains things.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,332
    Options
    And on the radiator valves -- the big ones -- counterclockwise is open, clockwise is closed.

You mention that the boiler is on and you do get hot water -- but somewhere right near the boiler there will be at least one pump which has to run to circulate the hot water from the boiler through the radiators. Is that running? And forgive me for suggesting the obvious (to us who work with these things all the time!) but is the thermostat calling for heat in the house?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tim smith
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Can you share some pics of the boiler in your basement and the pipes around it?
    Retired and loving it.