Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Really old Honeywell valve fix

Options
I have a really old (35 years?) Temco Natural Gas fireplace with a Honeywell valve and a heat regulator control knob on the side. (Tempco was bought by Majestic and then Vermont Castings) The Honeywell valve is so old I can't even find an internet reference (C5291B). It works great but the temp control regulator just started spinning freely. I looked at the temp control and it has a single copper wire connection directly into the Honeywell valve. It is strange because it is fairly heavy gage bare copper with no insulation and no other connection. I would like to simply replace the temp control but could live with replacing the regulator and the valve if necessary but it would be difficult to take out the entire fireplace. Does anyone have a suggestion how to move ahead?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    The single large copper wire sounds like a capillary tube, full of fluid that expands to give mechanical force to control the valve. Don't cut it, it'll leak out & make a mess.

I think your best bet would be to take the valve in to a supply house have them match it up with something. Maybe a fireplace dealer.

35 years is a good run, it might be time to budget for a new one.

• samfromrepair
    samfromrepair Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Ratio,

Thanks for the input. The connection does indeed seem to a capillary tube. The problem is that the fireplace is built on a wall that would take extensive effort to rebuild (it has black walnut and will be difficult to replace). My solution was to upgrade the guts of the fireplace but no local dealer will talk with me about anything but a new sale and room remodel starting above $15K. The burner looks good, therefore I decided to investigate simply updating the valve and the control (and connected by the capillary tube) but can not find anything even close. Called the supply house with the valve model etc. and they did not know what I was talking about. This led me to trying to find a replacement unit but I am not sure what is a good replacement.
  • ratio
    Options
    You'll need to find an Old Guy at a counter somewhere who will recognize the valve, since you can't find anything by the number.

Post a few pics here, maybe it'll be recognized.

• samfromrepair
    Options
    Getting some pictures. In the interim I was thinking (always a dangerous thing for me) and it seems like the valve just runs a standing flame pilot for a burner with a heat control that happens to be connected by a capillary tube. Is it possible to just replace it with a more modern standing flame pilot valve with another technology that adjusts the heat? it seems that an electric unit with a thermostat would do the same thing although I would have to run a couple of low voltage wires.
  • ratio
    Options
    Physically that'd be fine, it'd work just like you think. HOWEVER, modifications to fuel burning appliances are severely frowned upon by The Powers That Be, such as your homeowner's insurance.I can't possibly recommend you do something like that.
  • samfromrepair
    Options
    This is some information

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @samfromrepair

PM @Tim McElwain

He's the expert on this stuff and will steer you straight. He may also see this and respond

I am sure there is a replacement for this
  • samfromrepair
    Options
    Finally found some numbers on the pressure regulator that may be more useful but I am still not seeing any real replacement data.

V5016A. 3.FG
    V5269N1007

Do they mean anything to anyone?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @samfromrepair

Don't know if this helps. I couldn't find your Honeywell #s

Did you give those #s to the supply house you tried??

The attached if for Robert Shaw valves
  • samfromrepair
    Options
    Gave the numbers to everyone. Honeywell agreed it is an old number of theirs but say they sold the entire product line to resido - who say they have no record of it.... No one else has anything.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @samfromrepair

Why not try Supply House.com. They can cross you over to another brand like Robert shaw if need be. Gather all the information

Pipe size in and out of valve
    BTU of heater if known
    Looks like you have a standard gas pilot with a thermocouple
    and the temperature adjustment knob
    Weather the old valve contains a presure regulator (I think it does)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    That looks like a style of valve that would be used in a gas oven or unit heater. Maybe an appliance parts dealer might have more luck finding you a replacement or maybe even a kit from supco